Please sign in to post.

Laundry facilities

My adult children and I will be traveling light and wondering if anyone has input on availability of laundry facilities. We'd like to do laundry about half way into our trip which would be either northern Ireland or Donegal. TIA

Posted by
160 posts

Sometimes your b & b will do your laundry for a small fee. Anvershiel House in Portrush for instance (great place). Many towns such as Dingle and Westport have cleaners with same day service. I spent 4 weeks in Ireland recently and never had to do my own washing. I travel with only 5 days worth of clothes.

Posted by
279 posts

We were there for 18 days and did laundry twice. The first time was in Belfast, about a week into the trip. There were six adults in total, and we all split up in town to do separate things. I was not interested in touristy things and content to have some time away from the family so I volunteered to take care of the wash. It took a few hours, but it all got done and I had a lovely chat with the worker (a young woman from Spain who was taking a few years to visit as much of the EU as she could while she was young). Second was in Galway—we dropped off the wash before heading to Cong for the day. It was all done when we got back—super convenient!

Posted by
11 posts

Look up Revolution Laundry. It's a 24 hour "open air" laundromat with multiple locations around Northern Ireland and Ireland. Open air meaning they are a free standing block of Washers/Dryers located outside. The one we used was in a parking lot of a grocery store in Kerry. A large capacity machine with laundry soap included. Dryer too. Coin operated. A timer tells you how long it will take so we were able to run into the grocery store, etc....

Posted by
42 posts

We were in Ireland for 2 weeks a couple of summers ago and happily discovered that we could drop our laundry off at a dry cleaner/laundry place and they would wash, dry and fold our clothes for us in a couple of hours at incredibly reasonable rates! We got in the habit of dropping off a load when we arrived in a new town and then picking it up the next morning. We found that this was available in most of the smaller towns we visited. Our B and B in Dingle did the laundry for us for a reasonable rate as well.

Posted by
629 posts

We always have a hoot doing our own washing in a local laundromat. We travel light and will stop 1/2 way or 1/3 of the way through our trip and do a load or two . We sit back, read the paper and listen to the locals chat. Sometimes it's like being on a TV show with all of the different accents. One time in Inverness we enjoyed the local gossip and joking around amongst the regulars, as much fun as a pub. Also, it forces you to just sit back and relax for just this moment in time. We never run from one attraction to the next to just tick them off of a list.