Please sign in to post.

Kinsale to Dingle

Hi. Is driving from Kinsale to Dingle with a stop at Killarney National Park & the Kissane Sheep Farm too ambitious for a day? Thanks!

Posted by
8669 posts

Not too ambitious at all. About 2 hours to Killarney National Park from Kinsale.

Start early.

Posted by
45 posts

Thank you so much for the feedback. How long do you think the drive would take from Killarney Natl Park to Dingle?

Posted by
359 posts

On a good day about 4 hours total. It's a beautiful drive. Start very early as you'll need time to stop at many fantastic spots along the way....don't want to miss a ton of them. Are you just going to Dingle or trying to do the full Slea Head drive and go to Dunquin (so insanely worth it) ? Hopefully that's an added day. It can be done in one but it's a LONG day, Past Dingle especially allow time for stopping every five minutes to get pictures of something incredible you don't think can be topped until the next pull off.

Have fun. Try to stop at the Dunquin Cafe just outside of town for a break. Great books in an a little attached book store but an insanely wonderful lady there home bakes the most delicious cakes, breads and scones. Might take a moment for them to serve you....you hear the two or three of them back in the kitchen chatting in Irish.....then they realize that they DO have a customer and come out offfering tea and a slice of heaven on a plate. My comment that her chocolate cake looked so beautiful (it did) earned me a whack in the arm and a pleased but embarrassed "go on with ye".

Leave time for as much as possible !

Posted by
45 posts

Thank you for the tip on the Dunquin Café! We're staying 2 nights in Dingle, so on the day after we arrive, we are planning on touring the peninsula via Slea Head Drive. We've chosen that route over the ROK, since we've heard there's so much to see and do.

Posted by
359 posts

Not sure when you are going but Dunbeg Fort is closed for repairs but the Celtic ....actually pre Celtic stone remains are also interesting !

Also if you have a day.....in Dingle Harbor ask for Billies boat and take a day trip out to the Blasket islands.

My 25 year old daughter literally wept when it ended thanking us for one of her "greatest life days". The ride out....dolphins, basking sharks, minke whales, seals, insane scenery with a GREAT fun calm unpretentious guide. A zodiac boat landing on Blasket and the hours of unsupervised exploration time. It was also one if my and my wife's transforming life days. Absolutely incredible.

Posted by
45 posts

We are going in mid-October, and unfortunately Dunbeg Fort is listed as permanently closed. I don't think we'll be able to manage the Blasket Islands this visit, but I'm definitely putting it on the list for the next time!! Sadly, 14 days is just not enough time to see and experience all Ireland has to offer. Thank you again for these wonderful suggestions! We are very excited, and I've acknowledged to my nearest & dearest that I'm becoming increasingly obsessed!

Posted by
359 posts

We were there at Dunbeg last week and they are currently, according to the two officials there still assessing its future. Storms damaged it and being on a promontory it is now unstable. They wouldn't tell me if any of it had collapsed into the sea but seemed concerned and said the goal is to stabilize and eventually reopen. Who knows ? Sure hope so.

The nearby Celtic (pre-Celtic) settlement was open. My wife and daughter braved the tiny opening into the below ground chamber there and loved seeing the carvings. Not for a claustrophobic wimp like me ! The rest was wonderful to explore.

Posted by
3227 posts

@ewewoolknit—-thanks for the recommendation on a boat that goes to Blasket Island. We are going back to Ireland in July and staying three nights in Dingle. I very much want to go to the Blasket’s per your recommendation! So thanks!