Please sign in to post.

Kinsale

I have heard pros and con of stopping in Kinsale. We will be leaving Kilkenny, stopping at The Rock of Cashel and headed toward Kenmare for several days. Is stopping in Kinsale a must or just ok? If this is worth a stop what would you suggest to see and any good places to eat?

Thanks, Sandy

Posted by
72 posts

Kinsale is a nice little town built on a harbor. It has several small shops, a silversmith, a crystal shop and a few pubs. FishyFishy is a popular restaurant, serving local seafood. The pub food in town is also good.

You can visit Charles Fort, which is a star fort. It offers nice views over the water.

If you decide to visit, you could then take the coastal route to Kenmare for some beautiful scenery.

Personally, Kinsale would not be on my must-see list but is nice to stop in for a bit. (I feel the same way about the town of Dingle, although I love the Peninsula.)

Posted by
1443 posts

I stayed in Kinsale for 3 nights and really enjoyed it for the reasons stated above. I don't know if I would have the same opinion had I stopped by only for a few hours.

Posted by
238 posts

We also spent two nights in Kinsale and enjoyed it very much. It is a cute little town, very walkable. We had an excellent dinner at Fishy Fishy, spent some time at Charles Fort (a very interesting site), visited Cobh (also worth a stop--if you have Irish ancestors chances are they departed from Cobh) and found some lovely pub music.

Posted by
6547 posts

We enjoyed the night we spent there in 2010. I can’t say I’d go out of my way just to visit it, but it was there when we stopped for the night. We stayed at, and enjoyed, The Olde Bakery down by the marina.

Posted by
8 posts

We rented a sweet cottage in Kinsale for a week several years ago, facing the harbor. We never lacked for things to do. Rented a car at the Cork airport and took several wonderful day trips along the coast.

Also enjoyed the pubs, the fort, and just strolling around town. Took a guided tour of the village which was most interesting, even in the rain, and caught the bus to Cork from Kinsale for the day. You can’t go wrong staying in Kinsale!

Posted by
2114 posts

Old Presbytery Inn in Kinsale was our first overnight in Ireland a few years ago, and we recommend it. We liked the downstairs room with the little balcony that overlooks the private parking courtyard....it was extremely quiet and easy for luggage.

Noreen and Phillip are fabulous hosts.