Please sign in to post.

Kilmainham Gaol

Hi all, we are leaving on the 26th, and I totally forgot that Kilmainham Gaol was a book ahead deal.

What would be my chances of getting tickets on the 28th for sometime in the afternoon? Do we just turn up and wait to hear if they have tickets?

Has anyone tried this during summer, and been successful?

Posted by
1172 posts

If you are going to try and do a walk up, go first thing when it opens and see if they have anything for that day.

I am afraid to say that your chances are very small :(

Posted by
98 posts

I haven't tried this during the summer, so this will only be mildly reassuring. We visited the goal on May 7. I had booked ahead for the 9:45 AM tour. However, there were tickets available for the tour before ours, for our tour, etc.. It seemed only about half of us waiting for the goal to open had purchased ahead.

Good luck and safe travels.

Posted by
459 posts

I checked their website on Saturday May 6 to reserve a spot for Sunday May 7, they showed all spots reserved. I checked again around 8 AM on Sunday and the site then showed several time slots with openings. We reserved for noon and rode the bus out for the tour, that day there were also walk up tix available. This was my one time experience but it seemed they kept spots open until the day of the visits. This was of course a bit before the summer holiday season. good luck

Posted by
501 posts

Thanks for the advice and responses.

We leave the 29th for Belfast. I'll keep checking their site. If not, will have to travel back to
Dublin in the near future!

Posted by
501 posts

Success! One spot opened up on the 28th at 13:45 and I got it!!

So pleased. Thanks again.

Posted by
703 posts

That's great. You will enjoy it very much, I'm sure.