Please sign in to post.

Kilkenny vs Extra time in Dingle

Hello all I'm currently planning out my itinerary in Ireland for this July. I have a day that I'm not quite sure what to don with. As it stands we will spend our first 2 days in Dublin and days 4 and 5 on Dingle. It's the 3rd day that I'm not sure about and I have two ideas:
A.) this was my original plan; drive to Kilkenny from Dublin spending day 3 on Cashel and Kilkenny and spending the night in the later before leaving for Dingle on the morning of day 4. The other option is...
B.) Head to Dingle from Dublin making a stop at Cashel on the way but arriving in Dingle in the afternoon and sleeping there. This would give us 2 and half days in Dingle and skip Kilkenny.

I've been told that more than 2 days in Dingle is ideal. At the same time I liked the idea of seeing Kilkenny but I'm not sure if doing so would be cramming to much into too short a time period.

Posted by
317 posts

Greetings from Ireland, 2 days plus in Dingle is not just ideal, its essential.
You might go to kilkenny and enjoy it so much that when you go to Dingle you wont be kicking yourself that you decided to only stay one night, but why take that chance? This may be your only holiday in Ireland!
Slainte/Good health
Stephen McPhilemy
Rick Steves Ireland Tour-Guide
Dingle and Derry

Posted by
2367 posts

To me, there is never enough time in Dingle. We were there again in October and spent the whole day just driving the Slea Head drive and that was trip number five there.