Please sign in to post.

Kilkenny to Cashel - Need ideas for hiring a driver/tour guide with van for 5 adults August 2017

I'm travelling with 4 college aged students through Ireland. We're staying in Kilkenny for a couple days and would like to hire a driver with a van that can fit 5 adults to take us RT to the Rock of Cashel.

Even better if the driver knows the ROC and can provide an informal tour, like Rick Steves does!

Thanks
Chris Smith

Posted by
2115 posts

Chris,
Contact Tony McGann who lives in Doolin. We used him for several days of driving when we were in Ireland a few years ago. He was very reliable, reasonable, and has a great sense of humor.

He drove a large VW van that could seat 8, along with any luggage.

He actually took us to the Rock of Cashel the first day, after picking us up at the Shannon Airport with a few other stops along the way, before making our way to Kenmare for the first overnight. Then the next day we left for Dingle on up to Dromoland, then two days later from Ashford on a short hop over to Doolin, then the next day thru The Burren, Galway, Connemera to Ashford Castle at Cong. So, he will definitely drive distances on a per-day or multi-day basis.

We recommended him to friends who visited Ireland a year or so later, and they also were super pleased, so much so they offered him an extra condo they own for his overnights when he visited Nashville later that year.

Here is his contact info. I don't know which (if either) cell phone is better. But, you can definitely email him:

Tony
(00353)(0)65-7074790
(00353)(0)87-2422950
[email protected]

Posted by
2115 posts

P.S. While Tony has been to the Rock of Cashel, and he joined us on our tour, your admission provides a guided tour with on on-site guide. But, double-check their web site, just to make sure that's still the case nowadays.

Posted by
2115 posts

If your/their budget allows, try to get up to Ashford Castle and sign up ahead of time for the Hawk Walk (which is available by reservation to non-hotel guests thru the Ashford School of Falconry). That will give your group to see a bit of Ashford Castle (which is one of the top five hotels in the Europe (and I can't remember if also the world). It was the home of the Guiness family (as in the beer).

Posted by
21 posts

Thanks for the helpful tips, Maggie. I've sent an email to your colleague to see if he can drive us. And I checked the castle in Mayo. Very impressive!