Please sign in to post.

Kenmare

What can you tell me about staying in Kenmare?

Posted by
2454 posts

I was there briefly on a tour. Very attractive town, in a beautiful area. We stayed at the Landsdowne, which was very nice. One thing I particularly remember was visiting Norman McCloskey’s photography gallery, which was excellent, and buying his book about Killarney National Park.

Posted by
87 posts

A pretty, walkable town. Lots of small B&Bs. A pleasant little shopping/dining area.

There’s a really nice stone circle on the edge of the town, within walking distance for most people.

It’s the jumping-off point to tour the Ring of Kerry (and Beara).

However: One weekend every May, they host a bicycle race around the Ring of Beara. That weekend is crazy—people are shoulder to shoulder everywhere you go. It’s hard to find a place to stay or eat. Don’t go that weekend!

Posted by
1855 posts

It's an attractive town and not as touristy as Killarney. Good supermarket if you are self catering. Good base if you are wanting to do Beara, Sheep's Head etc as well as Garinish Island.

Posted by
13 posts

Stacy,

Good call about the bike weekend (ring of beara cycle) in May. In 2024 it is scheduled for May 25th. I had a schedule set and had to move it up a week so I could get a room in Kenmare.