Please sign in to post.

Kenmare bicycle race May 26, 2018

Four thousand bicyclists will descend on Kenmare and race around the Beara Peninsula on Saturday May 26. Almost every lodging is already booked for May 25+26. We had unknowingly planned to be there, but were able to change our itinerary to visit Kenmare earlier. http://ringofbearacyclekenmare.com/kenmare/

Posted by
7355 posts

A bike race can be a fun and festive event - we were on the Isle of Man this past June and saw the start of the British National Championship race in Douglas. But 4,000 racers is a lot (more than at the British Championships!), and can have a serious effect on lodging availability and prices! Glad you were able to rearrange you plans to suit your trip & thanks for alerting (or promoting/warning) everyone who might be going there.

Posted by
172 posts

Please tell me about the Isle of Man. There is a possibility of taking the ferry over from Dublin at the end of our Ireland trip. Is it worth visiting? How long were you there?

Posted by
409 posts

i am a Kerry Civil Defense volunteer and worked at the Ring of Beara Cycle this past year; and worked out of Kenmare. I would definitely NOT recommend doing the drive around that area during the cycle ride!

Also, the Ring of Kerry Cycle is the first weekend in July. I do not recommend driving the area that day (9,000 cyclists or more - i've cycled it, it's crazy insane crowded and the road is open to cars/buses.). I wouldn't stay in Killarney that weekend, either. I always get a Killarney person responding to my comment about that, negatively. But I stand by my recommendation to keep away from Killarney during those big weekends (Bike Week; R of K cycle; Rally of the Lakes car races....).

Susan
Expatliving in waterville