Please sign in to post.

Just starting to plan a 2017 jaunt in Ireland

Hi. Significant other and I have travelled to Europe now, on the Rick Steves' guidebook ticket, probably 8-10 times now, often with teenage girls, up to 5 in our group at a time.

Am in the early stages of planning a trip to Ireland (never been there) for summer 2017. Could be anywhere from four of us (including two teenage girls), to up to 8 or 10 (including brother, his spouse, and their two younger teenage boys).

When is the best time to go?
Any ideas on how best to travel/ travelling with/ best places for potentially such a large group?

Posted by
3 posts

We had an extended family trip to Ireland (9 people, including preschooler & infant). Stayed in Clontarf Castle north of Dublin and did day trips everywhere. You won't easily get to the West, which to my mind is the most beautiful part of the country, but you can easily hit the Wicklow mountains & St Kevin's Monastery to the south by train or grab a tourbus to the north to Belfast and Giants Causeway. That way if your group wants to split up you can all still meet back together at night.

Posted by
8704 posts

I never travel in the summer months, find them too crowded BUT understand with children in tow often the only time to travel for many. I also prefer colder temps than blazing sun but that's because I live in LA where we don't have weather, just sun. Anyway, I'd opt for August and I'd fly into Shannon and out of Dublin. West coast of Ireland stuns and I feel its the best way to introduce first timers to Ireland's beauty. I would also include Northern Ireland on your trip. That way you can say you visited two different countries. Also an excellent learning experience regarding about The Troubles as well the tragedy of the Titanic. If there are Game of Thrones fans in your group you might enjoy a tour while in Belfast. I suspect where the filmed scenes for the new Star Wars in Ireland will also generate some viewing interest.

Start perusing Vrbo and Airbnb websites as well as the main Ireland Bed and Breakfast website for accommodations. http://www.bandbireland.com Best to rent and do day trips. Don't miss Dingle, Slea Head, Gap of Dunloe, Skelig Michael, The Burren, NewGrange, Giants Causeway, or Glendalough. BEAUTIFUL island, wonderful people, what's not to like?!! Enjoy.