Please sign in to post.

June Itinerary

I am working on final details for our trip to Scotland and Ireland in June and would appreciate any suggestions. Trying not to over plan or pack in too much, so we enjoy what we are experiencing! We will be traveling with our 4 kids - ages 15-21.

We will spend the first 4 nights in Edinburgh - recovering from jet leg, exploring the city and possibly a day trip or two. We fly back to Dublin on a Friday morning and spend two nights there. No definite plans yet for Dublin but most likely Book of Kells, literary pub crawl, Gravity Bar for Guinness(probably not tour), Grafton St for shopping and pubs, St. Stephen's Green, museums? Hop on hop off bus might be good to get around first day and check things out. I have lodging at Buswells, Schoolhouse Hotel or Ariel House. Haven't decided which one to keep yet - Ariel House is the most affordable for our family, but I like the location of Buswells. They only had a double room, a double compact room and two singles available, but still leaning that way due to location.

We will depart Dublin Sunday - picking up our rental car (VW Caravelle) at the airport. We plan to drive to Killarney stopping at the Rock of Cashel for a couple of hours. I realize this will be a long day - perhaps 8 hrs drive with the stop? Considered Glendalough too but I imagine this would add a lot of time. I am really open to suggestions here, but wanted to get near Killarney as we would like to spend time in the park the next day. Currently, have lodging at The Lake Hotel in Killarney.

Monday - explore Killarney National Park - we love to hike, but perhaps bike rentals to see more of park in one day? Is Gap of Dunloe part of the park? Depart for Dingle late afternoon.

Monday and Tuesday nights in Dingle at Heaton's Guesthouse. I have planned a private tour up Connor's Pass and around the Peninsula with John O'Connor's Coastline Tours for Tuesday. Thought my husband would enjoy a break from driving and a better chance to enjoy scenery. Other suggestions for Dingle? Horseback riding on the beach? Great Blasket Islands Ferry - my husband doesn't handle rough seas though? Really looking forward to just relaxing and enjoying Dingle from what I have read about it. Note - we are planning to skip Ring of Kerry this trip I think and enjoy the peninsula scenery. I'm sure my kids would like to experience Skellig Michael, but just don't know how to fit it all in one trip.

Wednesday - depart Dingle for Cliffs of Moher, The Burren. Other things to take in on the way to Doolin? Staying in Doolin at Doolin Hotel. Would love a ferry to Aran Islands, but think probably too much for one day of could not get there early enough from Dingle unless we went straight to Doolin, took ferry and then did Cliffs late afternoon. I think it would be an early departure from Dingle to do this and seems like might need to save this Aran Islands for another trip. I'm not sure what other things to see or do in/near Doolin?

Thursday - depart Doolin in around 9 am to Cong - (planning about 2 1/2 hrs?) -Hawk Walk at 1 pm at Ashford Castle. I'm not sure if you can explore much of castle or grounds if you are not staying there, but we have a castle stay in Recess at Ballynahinch so will head there after our Hawk Walk to check in around 3 and enjoy experience there. Need to check out Quiet Man Bridge at some point as one of my husband's favorite movies :).

Friday (last day and lots planned) - would like to explore Clifden, Sky Road, Twelve Bens, Kylemore Abbey. We have our final night's lodging in Ennis at The Old Ground so we will check in there late afternoon and then we have tickets to the Doolin Folk Festival Friday night. It may be a late night driving back to Ennis from Doolin, but wanted to at least be a little closer to Shannon airport for our 9:15 am flight Saturday morning. I think about 30-40 min to Ennis from Doolin and same from Ennis to airport?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Posted by
107 posts

Let me recommend the Ariel House. The breakfasts are absolutely legendary, and you can take the nearby train to downtown stations if you like. Or take a walk with the kids to the city center. You can take a different route each day, get some exercise and spend time together as a family. It's only about a 20-minute power walk or a half hour stroll. You'll be pleased with what you discover.

The rest of your itinerary looks just fine, although we've found that we usually are only able to do about 2/3 of what we've planned. You have ambitious plans.

With the age ranges of your family, you will be lucky to find attractions that everyone enjoys. Maybe you should give each child a day or two of their own where they determine what you'll do, and everyone in the family treats it as Jane or Jimmy's special day. Another alternative is to let the older children roam on their own and meet you later at the hotel.

In Ireland there's some amount of moisture nearly every day. Bring umbrellas and lightweight rain jackets and hats.

Have tons of fun.

Posted by
60 posts

Thanks for the reply, bodo. I think we probably will go with Ariel's - for the breakfast recommendation alone! We are not opposed to walking and will probably use the Hop on Hop off bus to get around some too.

My biggest concern is the first day of driving from Dublin to Killanery as I know this will be a long day, but trying to get to the West to see and do the things I think the family will enjoy most. Our last day is pretty ambitious too - I guess I haven't really checked out drive time.

As you say, we may not get it all in, so need to be flexible - not stress about getting places, but enjoy everything along the way!

Posted by
60 posts

Question - is it too much to travel from Dingle to Cong in a day? We are currently planning to leave Dingle, visit the Cliffs and Burren and stay in Doolin overnight. We were considering going on to Cong instead as we would like more time in the Connemara for the last two days of our trip.

Posted by
148 posts

We will also be leaving Doolin and heading toward the Connemara region. We are staying at Ballynihinch Castle. We plan to stop in Galway and maybe Cong en route. We wanted to visit Westport, but we may go forego in favor of visiting to Aran Is. on day 2 there.

We also have to allow time for exploring the grounds of Ballynihinch and Kylemore Abbey. I wish we had more time in this area, but we opted to start our 15 night trip in Belfast.