Please sign in to post.

July 11 and July 12, 2019

Hello,

I've been reading Irish news and I am concerned about a portion of my travels for next year. I'll be traveling to Northern Ireland, specifically Derry, next year during the time of the Orange Order's many parades (July 12) and the bonfires the night before on July 11. Some of this year's bonfires and parades resulted in many incidents of sectarian violence with petrol bombs being thrown and police attacked. I, of course, want to avoid this at all costs. Should I rethink this, or am I being paranoid? Derry City (Londonderry) was the host of one parade this year that had violent behavior. My hopes are that it seems that the Orange Order chooses different locations for their parades each year, so next year, perhaps Derry City may not be a host. Any advice would be much appreciated! Any locals who might chime in? Thank you kindly!

Christine

Posted by
2 posts

Hi Christine.
There are lots of places in N.Ireland to view the 12th parades. As for the 11th night I personally would stay away from any bonfire activity. I think they are not the social and family events they were years age and appear the be put on by the radical element of the prod. movement.
I was in Belfast for the 12th 5 years ago and watched the parade in downtown Belfast, kind of boring watching flute band after flute band and the different lodges marching by. We left after an hour and went to my cousins place in Newtownabby in north Belfast and enjoyed their local parade much more.
The July 12th is something to experience but I would plan to attend one in one of the smaller towns or at least in the main parade area in Londonderry or Belfast. I don't think you are paranoid just doing the right thing and get informed.
Yes I grew up on the Shankill Road in Belfast and I personaly will not go to N.Ireland in July.
I also found it cheaper to fly into Dublin rather than Belfast, and it is only a 2 hour bus or train ride from Dublin to Belfast
Plan and enjoy your trip.
Pat

Posted by
25 posts

Thank you, Pat. My hope was to avoid both parades and bonfires at all costs. We were able to change some dates. While we will still be in NI in July, it will be very early. We will not be in the area on the 11th or 12th. Unfortunately, we don’t have enough time this trip to get to Belfast; most of our time will be in Derry and Antrim, so will have to plan another trip!

Kind regards,
Christine