Please sign in to post.

Jet lag?

We're landing at 7 am (NY-SNN) at Shannon Airport in a couple of weeks, and driving directly to Dublin.
Planning on visiting Kilmainham gaol the next day, and want to book tics online as they are cheaper. How is the jetlag? Will we still be "zombie-like" the day after the flight?
Is it better to reserve an afternoon time slot to visit Kilmainham, or will we do just as well to see it in the morning?

Also, we don't normally pre-book B&B's in Ireland, but reading some of these posts, should we?

Posted by
1172 posts

We were fine day 2.. day 1 was a bit of a write off though

I would for sure pre-book b&bs.... you will be in the high tourist season

Posted by
11218 posts

Flying to Europe you'll be fine on day 2. You'll be tired on landing Day late afternoon and evening. Stay up to Irish dinner and bedtime. Ireland is only a 5 hr time change from east coast so this is about as good as it gets.

Posted by
23341 posts

I don't think it is safe to say whether you will be OK in two days or not. Some are and some are not and it is very dependent on how you treat or what you do to min jet lag. I would be very, very careful about driving right after landing. High probability that you will be driving with the same level of impairment as someone who is drunk.

Posted by
4897 posts

You might want to reconsider driving on the day of arrival. Wait until you get to your first destination and rent the car there. Jet lag (no matter how well handled), lack of sleep, and not being familiar with the local road system, can all be problems. Some people are not bothered by any of those things. Others folks think they are ok but are really driving somewhat impaired without realizing it. And some folks are complete zombies and should never drive on the day they arrive. Just something to think about.

Posted by
1443 posts

Driving a strange car on strange roads (on the left at that) while jet lagged is basically no different than driving drunk. It's a bad idea.

Why not take the train to Dublin instead?

Posted by
25 posts

I see lots of folks here are concerned about us driving in Ireland while jet-lagged! 😱

No worries; we've hired a driver. I just want to know about enjoying Dublin on our 2nd day, and whether we'll be more awake the following morning, or afternoon.

Focus.........

Posted by
9363 posts

Yes, pre-book your B&Bs, unless you aren't terribly picky. You are in high tourist season now. I have never had a problem with jet lag on recent trips, but even when I did, it meant an early bedtime the first night, then all was well the next day. Since you plan to immediately be driven to Dublin, you won't be as able to be out and walking until later in the day, which helps on arrival day (you would not have gotten so much driving advice if you hadn't said you were "driving directly to Dublin"). But if your flight arrives at 7 a.m. in Shannon, it won't be much before mid-morning before you can get on the road to Dublin. Then you have the three-hour plus drive, checking into your hotel, getting settled. I would plan to do Kilmainham the following day, and just spend the remainder of arrival day walking around.

Posted by
25 posts

Nancy, et al,

Thanks, this is very helpful.

Now I'll be able to book tics for our 2nd day in Dublin with some confidence that we'll enjoy (and be awake for) our sightseeing! 😃

Posted by
131 posts

My husband and I flew into Dublin last month, landing at 830 am Dublin time. We managed to stay up till almost 10 pm that night. We spent most of the time outside in the sunshine, did the 'Meet a Dubliner' at the Little Museum and visited Kilmainhaim Gaol that afternoon. Had a great meal at Brannigan's pub about 7ish , did the night bus tour at 8 pm (tour is about an hour long) and got back to the hotel at 930. We were tired but slept well and the next day we were up and ready to go! We find that staying active and spending time outside gets us turned around faster than anything else.