Please sign in to post.

Itinerary suggestions

Good day all. We are just beginning to plan our next trip to Ireland in 2023. Hoping to visit places we have not yet seen, using public transport this time. We have a basic udea of where we want to be, but would really like some suggestions for must sees at our destinations.
We would arrive in Dublin and stayb there for 3 nights, will do the Rick Steve's Walking tours, and are open to suggestions for day trips near by. We have already been to Howth.
From Dublin, we hope to get a train to Kilkenny....a couple of nights, doing day trips from or just seeing the town open to suggestions
Train from Kilkenny to Waterford...is one night there enough, or are there good daytrips from there while using waterford as home base?
Train Waterford to Cork....3 nights, need daytrip suggestions.
Not sure whether we should bother with the next destination of Limerick, or should we just skip it and go to Galway in prep for a trip over to Inushmore? What's the general consensus on Limerick...is it worth seeing? Return to Galway from inishmore and then take a train back to Dublin. From Dublin, we will take a train to Belfast, visit family for a few days and then fly over to somewhere in Europe,. Maybe Austria.
I will so appreciate any and all suggestions, thanks in advance!

Posted by
1835 posts

Don't miss a trip to Newgrange when you are in Dublin.

Don't bother with Limerick and head straight for Galway.

Posted by
169 posts

Cork was a highlight for us in 2019. Went with my wife and my parents and Cork offered a lot of what we look for and at (seemingly) better prices than Dublin. I think you can spend quite a bit of time just in and around cork. We had a car rental and we didn’t leave

We then took a train all the way from Cork to Belfast through Dublin, great train ride very relaxing

Posted by
11 posts

I'm very interested in your post as we are also interested in travelling Ireland by rail and bus in spring or summer 2023. Hoping to stay in b and B's where possible for several days each to use as a home base. I look forward to reading the replies you get. Thanks! Naomi

Posted by
6510 posts

This tour to Newgrange and nearby sights is excellent, if you're into ancient tombs and pretty countryside. But it takes all day, which might not the best use of time when you have only two full days for Dublin. The RS walking tour of Dublin is very good, divided between the north and south sides of the river but can be combined.

Day trips from Cork would include Cobh, Kinsale, Blarney, and the Rock of Cashel -- each in a different direction, unfortunately. Look them up and see what interests you most. There might be a guided tour that combines some of them. I have zero interest in Blarney but the other three would be worthwhile.

I haven't been to Limerick but I'd suggest going straight to Galway if you can. Besides Inishmore, Galway would be a base for day trips to the Burren and Cliffs of Moher (south) and/or Connemara (north).

This current thread discusses rail travel in Ireland, including a good map. As David notes, the Irish rail network is oriented to Dublin, complicating itineraries that rely on it.

Posted by
88 posts

I really enjoyed Cahir Castle. It is right in the center of the town and can be reached by bus or train from Waterford. It looks like it would take a little over an hour. The town is very cute as well. There is a lovely cafe that overlooks the Castle and the river. Cashel is very difficult to reach by public transport, but I actually liked Cahir better.

While I haven’t been there personally, you can get to the Dunbrody Famine Ship in New Ross by bus from Waterford. I think it’s only about a half hour away.

The beach town of Dunmore can be reached by bus as well in around a half hour from Waterford.

Posted by
138 posts

Dublin - Cobblestones Pub for traditional music - wonderful. They play in the mid to late afternoon!