Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Questions

My finance and I are planning our honeymoon to Ireland in July. We would like some feedback on our itinerary. Here is what we have so far:

Fly into Dublin, take bus to Galway.
Spend 2-3 nights in Galway see Aran Islands, Cliffs of Moher
Travel to Dingle or Killarney stay 3-4 nights see Dingle Peninsula, Ring of Kerry, and golf at Dooks Golf Links
Return to Dublin for 4 nights

We would prefer to stick with tours or public transportation but we are willing to consider a car rental for the Dingle/Kerry. What is the best way to get from Galway to Dingle? About how long does this trip take? Is it possible to take public transportation and pick up a car in the Dingle/ Kerry area? And what would be the best way to get back to Dublin by public transportation? Or fly?

Posted by
8 posts

Hello! Not sure if it's helpful, but I'm doing a nearly identical itinerary in May. Here's mine:

Fly into Dublin - 4 nights
Bus to Galway - 2 night (1 day trip to either Connemara or Aran Islands)
Rent car in Galway before depature
Drive to Dingle via Cliffs of Moher
4 nights Dingle peninsula
1 night Bunratty and depart from Shannon airport

Our destinations are the same and for similar amounts of time for each. But this plan eliminates the drive to Dublin from Dingle. And we think Dingle will be our favorite and wanted to save the best for last as well as the more relaxing parts of our vacation for the end.

Also, I thought about 1 night in Galway and 1 night in Aran Islands, with the ferry departing from Galway and returing to a port near Cliffs of Moher. I was uanble to find any car rental options to pick up from in this area, though, so had to abandon that plan, unfortunately.

Another option would be to hire a driver/guide to get you from Galway to Dingle. This was suggested to me by someone else on the forum. This would be ideal, but not in our budget. Plus we wanted to have access to travel spontaneously around the Dingle peninsula and getting to the Shannon airport was also a challenge so ultimately we decided to rent. Not going to lie, this is the only aspect of our trip that makes us nervous, but we think it will be worth it. Even though we have a car, we've decided to hire a local for a 3.5 hour tour of Slea Head. Unlike the larger trips, this was in our price range.

Good luck to you! And have so much fun.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you for the information! Have a great time on your trip! We have decided to stay two nights in Dingle and third night in Killarney to have easy access to the Kerry Airport to fly to Dublin the next day. We are wondering if we should drive the ROK or visit Killarney National Park in the day between Dingle and Killarney? Or just drive part of the ROK? Any suggestions would be appreciated.