Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help!!!! Too ambitious??!!

I really need some input. Will be traveling in September. This is causing me so much stress and a headache. Too much??? Should I cut out any days/places? Are any of the places that I'll be seeing good places to set up base and then just drive to see the sites? I just don't know far the distances are between what I would chose as " base" and the sights. Sorry so many questions! Need to get this figured out.
9/20 Dublin
9/21 Dublin
9/22 Wicklow
9/23 Kilkenny/Cork
9/24 Killarney
9/25 Killarney
9/26 Galway
9/27 Galway
9/28 Newgrange/Dublin
9/29 Dublin. Fly out at 1230 pm

Posted by
4372 posts

I haven't been to Killarney but did Kilkenny and Glendalough as a daytrip on a bus tour from Dublin and it wasn't bad. The highway between Galway and Dublin is good. I think your itinerary will work just fine and it doesn't seem ambitious at all.

Posted by
8716 posts

Moving too much.

Use Google maps to decipher driving times and add time to what it says.

Why the one night in Wicklow?

Back roads are small and take time especially if get stuck behind a lorry, farm vehicle or flock of sheep.

However it is also a small island and you can spend 5 hours getting from Dublin to Dingle on mostly highways.

I've driven Belfast to Dublin to Dingle in 5.5 hours.

So I'd do 4 nights Dublin and do day trips to Newgrange and Glendalough.

Then see the Rock of Cashel in route to Dingle. 3 nights Dingle with day trips to Killarney and the National Park, Gap of Dunloe and Slead Head.

Then 2-3 nights Gallway.

With extra time drive to Belfast and spend 2 nights there.

I'd also stay in Dingle rather than Killarney.

Posted by
503 posts

It's a very ambitious itinerary - doable yes, - whether you should do it however, is another question! To be honest, I think you are trying to cram too much in. Ireland runs at a slower pace and there is little time in this itinerary for issues such as traffic delays, getting lost or simply enjoying the place. If you goal is to check things off a list, this works. If it's to really see and experience Ireland than no, it doesn't.
As to what to cut out, that's hard to say since you haven't really said what you are interested in seeing. Perhaps if you gave us a bit more info about what your interests are we could help steer you in the right direction.