Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help please!

Headed to the Motherland on June 19. We fly into Dublin on the 20th (crack of dawn) and are there for two nights, and we will finish our trip in Dublin the evening of July 2, flying out on July 3.

The rest of our trip is completely open. My husband and I have been there in 2014, and have seen much of Country Clare and the midlands. This trip, we are bringing our 13 year old son and 10 year old daughter as well as another married couple. We would REALLY love to hit Northern Ireland on this visit but of course, want to show our friends and kids as much of the mainland as we can as well. I am unsure the best route to take to ensure that we will see the most, allowing of course for travel and necessary rest time.

Here's what I know we want to see:
Northern Ireland: (is 3 days enough time to see the following -)
Belfast (is one day sufficient?)
Giant's Causeway area - can we see this all in one day?
Londonderry

Republic of Ireland:
Aran Islands
County Clare (my family's ancestral castle and estate, Dysert O'Dea, is located in Corofin): The Burren and Loop Head Peninsula, Rock of Casheel (Co. Tipperary - what else is worth seeing in this area? It seemed rather isolated last time but it is magnificent)
Galway
The west Coast?

Less important but perhaps still cool: Blarney Castle and Jameson Distillery.

Would someone be able to sketch out a basic route...I was thinking we would head straight to Belfast when we leave Dublin, due to its proximity, but we are also open to leaving that to the end of the trip. We WILL be renting a car and plan to stay mostly in Air BnBs or actual BnBs.

Route tips and any other tips MUCH appreciated! Thanks and slainte'!

Posted by
1172 posts

I cannot comment on Northern Ireland as we stuck to the Republic when we went but things that my 11 and 8 years old loved:

1) Outside Kilkenny we did Dunsmore caves. It was awesome
2) Blarney Castle. The castle was good but the grounds were gorgeous
3) Killarney National Park: We rented bikes and biked to Mucktoss house and farms and Torc waterfall. Smooch fund
4)outside killarney we went to Kissane farms and saw a sheep herding and sheering demonstration
5) they loved driving the Ring of Kerry and stopping along the way and having a picnic on the beach
6) Cliffs of Moher

But the absolute highlight for them ( and really all of us) was the Falconry experience at Ashford Castle.