Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help please.

Thanks to you guys I'm trying to eliminate one nighters Mid-May next year. Just 2 middle age married active folks. So here it is. Round trip out of Dublin.
2 nights in Dublin

1 night in Kilkenny. Stopping at the Russborough house for some Falkonry on the way down.

2 nights in Kinsale. Hubby wants to golf Old Head.

2 nights in Kenmare. Via Wild Atlantic Way. next day Beara Peninsula.

2 nights in Killarney. via Gap of Dunloe. Ross Castle, Muckross house, torc waterfall and maybe horseback ride Killarney National Park.

2 nights in Dingle. Slea Head and Connors Pass.

1 night in Doolin via ferry. Maybe stop by and check out Loophead.

• Pub every night of course.

Ok. this is where I'm having trouble. Drive up to Westport for 2 nights. Bike the Great Western Greenway and maybe check out Achill Island OR Drive up to Clifden for one night then one night in Westport. OR two nights in Galway. OR head out to Bunratty/ Limerick.

Posted by
238 posts

We loved Westport! It's a cute little town and the music at Matt Molloy's was wonderful! In addition to biking the Greenway your husband might enjoy the very nice golf course there as well. And there's always Croagh Patrick if you'd like a rugged hike. I've not stayed in Clifden or Limerick, but given a choice between Westport and Galway I'd definitely choose Westport.

Posted by
359 posts

Westport over Galway every time. Galway is pretty but is a tourist clogged city. Westport much nicer, calmer with great stuff to see and do in the area.

And skip Killarney. It's on Rick Steve's top ten tourist traps for a reason:

"Killarney (Ireland): This is a place where most tourists wear nametags — a traffic jam of tour buses. If you have the misfortune to spend the night in Killarney, you’ll understand what I mean. The town is a sprawling line of green Holiday Inns and outlet malls littered with pushy shoppers looking for plastic shamrocks."

Pick another site or stay longer in Kenmare. There are interesting sights near Killarney. Killarney itself UGGH !!!! More time on the ROK from another base, or an extra day in Dingle and an extra day in Doolin for a nice day trip to the Aran Islands. Basically anywhere but Killarney.

Posted by
15589 posts

Pub every night of course. Why only at night? ☺ Pub lunches are the best. A bowl of hot thick vegetable soup with black soda bread and butter (soup and bread made fresh daily) for about €5 and a pint.

I really enjoyed the Dublin Literary Pub Crawl in Dublin.