Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help please

We are going to Ireland in September for our 45th anniversary. The trip is 9 days and we will be driving and staying as follows:

Dublin, Ireland-2 nights including arrival day
Killarney, Ireland- 3 nights
Adare, Ireland- 2 nights
Wicklow, Ireland- 2 nights then departing

I have put together an itinerary of sorts with the areas that we would like to see but it seems like too much driving and maybe a little too ambitious for such a short time listed below.

Day 1- arrive in Dublin
Day 2- Tour Dublin- no idea how to best spend this time

Day 3 leave Dublin for Killarney by way of Ballyhack car ferry to Waterford then on to Cobh waterfront immigration experience
Take car ferry from Carrigaloe to Kinsale. In Kinsale - tour Charles Fort then arrive in Killarneylong day

Day 4-Dingle peninsula/Aran Islands 1.5 hrs drive from Killarney
Day 5- Ring of Kerry tour already booked
Fit in Kilarney National Park at some point????

Day 6 Head to Adare (2 nts) visit Bunratty Folk Park ???
Day 7 Tour Cliffs of Moher by way of Ennis

Day 8 Head to Powerscourt Hotel via Limerick and Kilkenny
Day 9 Tour the loop Bray/Avoca/Roundstone/Wicklow Ntional Prk/ Glendalough
Day 10-Depart

We are coastal people who love nature but we also want to spend some time in the local culture. I am not sure how to balance it all.

I would like to go to Cobh as I am tracing my ancestry but not sure if this is worth doing as it is a long drive

We would also like to see Dingle but again is it worth the entire days drive when the next day we are doing the ring of kerry?

I would appreciate any info that you can give me. Thanks so much

Posted by
1172 posts

hmmmm.... I would look to change your Powerscourt night on your way out of Dublin. That way you do not have to retrace your steps.

The Aran Islands will most likely take the better part of a day as the ferry is driven by be the tides e.g. you go out at 10 and unless coming back on the 12:30 ferry, your next one would be at 4. Dependent on weather, the Aran Islands are easier to get to from Galway. Not sure if you have a specific reason for Adare or already have reservations but there really wasn't much there we though.

Would you be open to ( assuming day 5 is non negotiable)

Day 1 Dublin
Day 2 Wicklow national park/glendalough /Powerscourt
Day 3 Ballyhack/ waterford etc sleep in Killarney
day 4:Killarney national park/Gap of Dunloe
Day 5 ROK
Day 6 Dingle peninsula and sleep in Dingle
Day 7 Stop at Bunratty and Cliffs of Moher on ay to Galway
Day 8 Galway/Aran Islands
Day 9: drive to Dublin
Day 10 flight

In Dublin, we really enjoyed Kilmainham Gaol, the hop on and off bus was a great way to see things as well

This is a lot of driving too though ...hmmmm

Posted by
7 posts

Wow Sharon it sounds like you know your way around. Thank you for the itinerary info. Unfortunately our accommodations cannot be changed as they are part of a package. That is what has made this planning a bit difficult to work around.