Please sign in to post.

itinerary help :)

looking or suggestions on my itinerary. Specifically my stay outside Kenmare.

Day 1:(May 18-19) Arrive Dublin: drive and stay 1 night in Kilkenny
Day 2:(May 19-22) Drive to Air bnb its a 10 minute drive outside Kenmare. Staying 3 nights.
Day 5: (May 22-24) Drive to Doolin. Stay 2 nights.
Day 7: (May 24-25) Drive back to Dublin, stay 1 night and fly out the next day.

Just some background. We've stayed in Dublin before and don't feel the need to stay again. My concern is I will feel disappointed not being close enough to walk to pubs and restaurants when I'm a 10 minute drive from Kenmare. I tend to like small towns with a local vibe. I'm not sure I can get a taxi to get me in and out of my Airbnb. I will have a car. But I will not drive if I have a pint. I've thought about only doing 2 nights in the country then 1 night in Dingle. Any Suggestions? Thank you.

Posted by
6788 posts

Where are you flying in from? Most people are too exhausted, jetlagged, and non-functional to step off their arrival flight, jump in a car, and drive off safely (I certainly was not in any shape to do that upon arrival).

What's the attraction of Kenmare? It seems to be the primary focus of your trip. Kenmare is perfectly OK as a place to stay, but unless you have some compelling reason to be there, I'd skip it entirely and just spend those nights in Dingle.

Posted by
12 posts

I'm flying from Seattle. I want to be close to the ring of Kerry or the ring of Beara. But not in a overly touristy area. I was thinking Kenmare over Killarny. With the ability to be close to the Cliiffs of Mohr and the Aran Islands when were in Doolin.

Posted by
87 posts

Maybe check Google Maps to see what's within walking distance of your Air Bnb. You never know, there might be a nice pub that serves food.

If not, you might need to rethink your accommodations, so that you're within walking distance of Kenmare.

I don't think 1 night in Dingle is worth the effort to get there.

Posted by
6788 posts

@Karen, I'm from Seattle, too. On our last trip to Ireland (2019), we flew nonstop from Seattle to Dublin on Aer Lingus (and in business class, so a nice, lay-flat seat -- a great space and environment for sleeping on the plane, and I got solid sleep on the flight, something many people do not enjoy if sitting in tight coach seats). Still, upon arrival in Dublin, no way was I in any kind of shape to drive, even on the "correct" side of the road. Flipping everything left/right just adds to the challenge. My point is: please reconsider your plan to fly to the other side of the world, jump in a car, and drive off for hours on what your brain and muscle-memory will insist is the wrong side of the road. It's really dangerous (and I say that as someone who welcomes driving challenges...).

Consider this alternative: arrive in Dublin, and hop a convenient, cheap, and comfy bus "coach") right from the airport to your first destination, allowing someone else to do the driving (you can also catch a train). Get a good night's sleep, then wake up the next day refreshed and pick up your rental car, head on your way.

We did that, taking the bus from Dublin Airport to Galway, then we headed south, around the SW end of Ireland. You could too. Or you could go the opposite direction (there are buses from the airport to many destinations). There are lots of ways to do this "loop" but starting off jetlagged and wiped out is not a good way to begin any trip, including this one. Hope that helps.

Posted by
2967 posts

Instead of renting a car on the day of arrival take a direct bus from Dublin airport to Kilkenny on Ormond Road (2h 30m): https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Dublin-Airport-DUB/Kilkenny#r/Bus/s/0. If you scroll down, you’ll see J.J. Kavanaugh & Sons that operates this bus every three hours: info@jjkavanagh.ie. I agree with David and do not recommend driving the day of arrival, especially since you can rent a car in Kilkenny.
Years ago, my sister and brother-in-law traveled to London with another couple who rented a car the day they arrived and who had done this several times before. Shortly after leaving Heathrow, he totaled the vehicle. Luckily no one was hurt.

Can you fly open jaw (into one city and out the other) i.e., Dublin and Shannon? Doolin is a 1h 15m drive from Shannon. If you can avoid driving in Dublin, do so.

Posted by
2831 posts

Kenmare is a good choice as a base for exploring the southern part of the ROK, the Beara Peninsula, and Killarney NP - it's worth an extra night if you can manage it.
I too would suggest an extra night in Dingle, not just for Slea Head Drive but also to give you a chance to enjoy some of the northern part of the Ring - most notably the very pretty Gap of Dunloe.
Doolin strikes me as an outlier here and a place that could be saved for a future visit.
Per David's suggestion: if you're leery about driving immediately after arrival you could take the train from Dublin to Killarney, spend a night and then collect your car there. You could then drop the car and train back to Dublin when you're done.. Might simplify your logistics a bit if you're willing to make some minor modifications to your proposed itinerary.
OTOH, I sleep pretty well on the flight over and find that I'm running on adrenaline anyway, and so am comfortable putting that energy to good use, picking up a rental and getting on with it immediately after we land. My wife is a reasonably competent navigator and together I don't think we pose much of a hazard to navigation ... and we've done this a number of times. It's a personal decision that shouldn't be taken lightly however, and I generally agree that the best advice for most people is to wait a day before getting behind the wheel.

Posted by
7380 posts

Like David, on our last trip in September 2019, we landed at the Dublin airport, and immediately got on the double-decker coach headed to Galway. Even with panoramic seats at the front of the upper deck, enjoying the scenery, we fell asleep. The nap helped us get through the rest of that day, and make it through dinner. We picked up our rental car just outside Galway, 2 days later, and turned it in just outside Dublin.

Dingle’s definitely worth a stay!

Posted by
2831 posts

The suggestion to catch the express bus to Galway upon arrival is a good one. After collecting your car there you could do a one-way rental, meander down the coast, and ultimately return the car in Dublin or somewhere else along your proposed route and catch the train back.
The cost of a one-way rental is pretty minimal - might be an attractive option for you.

Posted by
1377 posts

Can you ask your Airbnb host about restaurants/pubs within walking distance of your rental? Or maybe your rental is at least close enough to be able to walk there and get a cab back? Even if there isn't a "cab stand" where you eat/drink I'm sure the bartender or wait staff would call a cab for you.

Posted by
1373 posts

If the seas are high or the weather is bad the ferry from Doolin may not run to the Aran Islands; otherwise, two nights is good for Doolin. If the weather is good you can visit both the Cliffs and Inis Oirr the same day. KIlkenny is a fun town and on your way from Kenmare from there a short detour to the Rock of Cashel would be worth the effort.