Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help

My dream trip has been to fly to DUB and stay 2 nights then drive around southern tip to Galway stopping along the way. We will arrive in Dublin on Aug 5. I plan to depart Dublin the afternoon/evening of Aug 7 or morning of Aug 8. We will depart from SNN on Aug 13. Would appreciate recommendations for the best itinerary with must sees and places to stay. I definitely want to see Giant's Causeway, so should we take a day trip from Dublin? This is our first visit, and I hope it won't be our last but you never know. We would like to stay in a castle one night, so I would appreciate recommendations but not sure what will be available this close to travel. There will be 3 of us, and I don't want to spend $1000 for the night for Dromoland. Thanks!

Posted by
1172 posts

I would take the day that he is at Hurling to go to Giant's causeway as it is the other direction from where you are headed.. Assuming the your husband is ok with missing it.

Some ideas:

August 9th: leave Dublin and drive to Killarney/Kenmare. Possible stops: Powerscourt, Kilkenny castle medieval mile in Kilkenny. Rock of Cashel and Blarney Castle (this would be a long day)
August 10th: Killarney: national Park, Gap of Dunlo
August 11: drive to Galway and stop at the Cliffs of Moher on the way. Stay In Galway
August 12th: Galway
August 13th: home from Shannon

This would be busy but doable I think

Enjoy your trip. Like you, Ireland was my dream and we went last summer... completely lived up (and more!) to what I had been hoping it would be!

Posted by
36 posts

Thanks for the suggestions! I changed my post because I found out the hurling semi-finals are on Aug 6th, not 8th. We can all leave Aug 7 or morning of the 8th. Our daughter and I can tour around Dublin while he is at hurling. We can all go to Giant's Causeway on Aug 7 and depart Aug 8 driving south.