Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help!!!

Hi there!! I will be travelling with my husband and 15 month old daughter to Ireland in mid September for 12 days. Flying into and out of Dublin. We are renting a car for the whole trip (besides the days in Dublin). I had already basically made the itinerary for ten or eleven days and not twelve. So now, I have this extra day. I need help with my itinerary plus what to do with the extra day and where to put it to good use. I don't want to feel rushed all of the time but its not like we are huge shoppers or going to be able to sit in a pub all night. But a nice relaxing night and walking around with nothing to do sounds great on one or two nights.

Does our itinerary look like too much? Any things I should skip or places to spend more time?
I also worry that since my baby (and Husband) eats every two to three hours, I will waste a lot of time having to find a place to eat while trying to make it somewhere on time. I would love to bring a cooler, but worry about packing it and keeping it cold!!

1. Day one – Dublin
    9am – fly into Dublin
    1130am -get into Dublin Spend the day and night seeing sights: guinness, trinity college,
    churches, park and dinner

Pay for Dublin pass so we can do the hop
    on/off bus?
    Stay in Dublin one night

Day Two – Glendalough and powerscourt
    730am – pick up car at airport
    830am – get on road and travel to powerscourt
    930-12pm - enjoy powerscourt and have lunch there 12-1pm drive to glendalough
    1-6pm hike, picnic, explore area 6-7pm eat dinner in the area maybe
    7-830 drive to kilkenny stay night in kilkenny

Question = Is this enough time at both places or too much?

Day three – Kilkenny and ROC
930-11am kilkenny castle
1130am black abbey
1230pm-230pm lunch then st canices
230pm - 345 drive to ROC
4-530 ROC (ROC is added this day even though it is close to Cahir (day four) but it gives us more time to do other stuff. Any advice on this? See below
530-645 drive back to kilkenny
hang out in kilkenny and have dinner, shopping

stay in kilkenny

Questions/Advice: Is Kilkenny a good spot to make a relax night or walking around and taking our time or do it in another city?

Day Four - Cahir Castle and Blarney

830am-945am drive to cahir castle
10am-1230pm Cahir castle and lunch in town
1230-145 drive to blarney castle
2-4pm blarney castle (we aren't kissing the stone, is 2 hours too much time here?)
430-6pm go to cork market and get food
(is this worth it or just use this time to hang out in kenmare for the night or add ROC to this day and forget the market, which gives us the night to walk around kilkenny the previous day and still time to relax in kenmare and have dinner in town)
630-815 pm drive from cork to kenmare = 1:40 minutes
stay in kenmare

Day Five – Killarney National park
7am-8am drive from kenmare to gap of dunloe
8am - 1pm walk gap of dunloe and lunch
1pm-130 drive to ross castle
145-3pm explore ross castle
315-5 go to muckross house and gardens, can eat there
then muckross abbey,
5pm - 8pm drive to torc waterfall (20 minutes). Ladies view and view over KNP
stay in kenmare

ALL of this feasible? I think it will be dark at 730pm
How long is trail to ladies view?

Day six – Ring of Kerry

8am-5pm Ring of Kerry
maybe drive to skellig and do a boat tour if we want.

5-6pm Drive: end of Kerry (killorglin) to dingle
7pm night out in dingle

Stay in dingle

Day seven- dingle
9am-5pm Drive the Dingle Peninsula and Slea Head Drive
Go to inch beach
Maybe get a ferry to blasket islands

Stay in dingle

Advice - Is this enough time to see all of this? Is getting a boat tour to blasket islands worth it?

More to come later. Too long of a text.

Posted by
8 posts

Day Eight- Burren and Cliffs

730-10am drive to bunratty castle (closes at 4pm)
10am-12pm bunratty castle tour (drive to it and see, don't stay long)
12-130 pm lunch somewhere close
130-215pm drive to burren
215-5pm go to burren
530-830 cliffs of moher
drive from doolin to hags head by 5pm and hike the trail to visitors center and back (2 miles I think total?)

stay in doolin? Any other town a good place to stay one night?

Question/Advice – Is this enough time in Burren? I am a little confused on exactly where to go in the burren and how long of a drive between the spots. Is bunratty castle worth it? I wouldn’t mind skipping one to see the other. As far as the cliffs go, I really just wan to hike the trail, not interested in visitor center or anything. I heard going later is nicer, less traffic. But is this doing too much?

Day nine –Aran islands

10-6pm go the ferry to aran islands
ferry gets back at 6. Seems like a huge waste of the day, but I heard it is great.

7pm - Immediately start making our drive towards Northern Ireland-stop halfway in Sligo or Donegal?
3-4 hour drive at night and in morning. We wouldn’t be getting to bed until 11 or later.

Day ten – Northern Ireland

7am-10am drive to dunluce castle
10-11am dunluce castle
11-1145am drive to carrick rope bridge
12-2pm rope bridge
2-230pm drive to giants casueway (eat there)
230-5pm giants casueway
5pm- go to dark hedges
Hang in Belfast or another town? Suggestions?
stay the night in area or belfast

Is the bridge that scary? I heard you will need your child strapped to you, which we would anyway. Can only one person go across at a time? Is two hours enough to walk the bridge and explore?

DAY eleven
hill of tara
trim castle
new grange

Feasible? And then making it to Dublin and having dinner and relaxing before our flight back the next morning?

Day twelve-----extra day to fit anywhere in this trip.

We fly out on day 13

Posted by
23268 posts

I would do nothing with your extra day. We always plan a completely blank day every four to five days. Use that day to do laundry, catch up on things we may have missed earlier, add something that we did not anticipate, sleep in, etc. No plan goes perfectly, weather does not always cooperate, and 15 month old will slow you down considerably. I personally think you have too much planned.

Posted by
255 posts

IMO you are trying to squeeze in too much into short daylight hours, especially with a small child who needs a lot of extra logistics. Plan to do less, slow down, assume you'll return for more. You'll likley get lots of specific comments from others. If not, go back and do a Search on this topic. I will offer one place to economize as an example. The Hill of Tara is really just an unremarkable grassy hill with a small, poor, old church on the side. I have Irish ancestry, but did not feel any special magic, history or interest there.

Posted by
3227 posts

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen an itinerary that has the times down! IMHO, you are too scheduled. No time to linger and enjoy the magic that is Ireland. You will not have enough time for half of this, but far be it from me to keep you from trying. I would be exhausted after this itinerary!!!

Posted by
6788 posts

Easy. Your "extra day" will save you from the first mistake you made.

You plan to arrive in Dublin on what you'e calling "Day 1". I assume you are flying there from North America (or someplace else far away). That's not your first day in Ireland. That's your travel day to get to Ireland. I'd call that "Day Zero" because it's not really usable for much.

On your arrival day - no matter what time your flight lands - you (or at least someone in your family, maybe all of you) will be exhausted and jetlagged, wiped out because you got little or no sleep in the past day (or maybe two). So that day you will not have much fun trying to slog through your sightseeing list. You will be struggling to stay awake (at least you should try to stay awake). Your original plan has you using that day as your one and only day in Dublin, then getting up the next morning and driving away. So you won't really get to see Dublin (expect through a fog).

Do yourself a favor. Upon arrival, do your best to stay awake until an early dinner. Eat then go to sleep (bit don't give in to temptation and crash before dinner, or it'll take days to adjust to the time difference). Wake up the next day - which is actually the first usable day of your trip - and spend your "extra" day there in Dublin seeing/doing the things that you had planned for your arrival day.

Edited to add: Others have a point - you have waaaaay over-scheduled things. Hint: when your day plans includes more than 2 or 3 things, that's a sign you're probably overdoing it. When you start scheduling things down to 15 minute increments, hoo-boy, look out.

I think you need to start with a clean sheet of paper...

Posted by
8 posts

I believe we have too much as well! The day in Trim area weren't even on my itinerary to begin with. And I do not plan on this being my only trip to Ireland. YES I am nuts, I put times down just to see if it was doable, then once I put down all the times I realized that was crazy...when am I eating or going to the bathroom....?

My top places to go were:

Castles - Kilkenny, ROC, Cahir, Blarney. My husband loves castles, old architecture and history in general.
Cliffs and Burren- just because haha. I heard Slieve League was way better but I couldn't seem to fit it in. And it is generally out of the way. Worth it? Isn't it hard to hike though, I would be scared to take my daughter.

ROK and Dingle Peninsula
Killarney National park - just to be outdoors and we will be in that area
Northern Ireland - Giants causeway area
Aran islands- I could take it or leave it on this trip
Dublin - only interested in one day though

Posted by
5697 posts

Have you travelled with your daughter before for this long ? Only you will know how your child will respond to new places, new foods, unfamiliar surroundings. Your detailed timetable looks to me like a blueprint for disappointment -- stuff happens, and travel takes longer than you expect. You may decide to skip certain sights and just veg out some days.

Posted by
359 posts

To each their own but I couldn't take a vacation this way. This is making an itinerary the goal and master rather than the experience. What happens when you are delayed half an hour by a herd of sheep ? When it inevitably is rainy and heavy fog and you can't see much of anything ? And what if everything flows smoothly but you feel compelled to leave a spot by a certain time to stay on schedule .....missing out on what makes a trip really magical which is the unexpected, unplanned moments ? Even if you are open to some itinerary flux the constant readjustment, again for us, would be exhausting and utterly counterproductive. Seeing everything possible isn't the goal, experiencing Ireland is.

We plan one thing a day - at most .....with a couple other possible options if we feel like it. We linger, take the time to interact with the incredible people of Ireland and let things happen. If we had been wedded to an itinerary to such a degree we honestly would have missed all the best moments from our trips......spending an afternoon w a farmer helping to feed his sheep and horses followed by tea and biscuits, having tea and scones w an older lady and her "fine excuse for a dog", being shown an amazing hike in the Wicklow Mountains, my wife being pulled into a small bakeries kitchen to trade recipes and speak Irish or just wander driving and "finding" an amazingly haunted field with an Ogham stone set in a field of wild gorse. That and many many more treasures. None of that would have happened with an itinerary being so predominant.

Nothing wrong with planning and to each their own, what works for one might not work for another but consider dropping the daily scripted times and multiple stops every day and leave plenty of time to explore, talk to folks, wander and discover Ireland and its generous, funny, self deprecating people. There is magic all over but rarely found running between so called must see tourist spots.

Anyway Just one take. Hope you have a fantastic trip.....Ireland is beyond description !

Posted by
1172 posts

I agree that you have too much especially for someone travelling with a toddler.

I would add a day to Dublin as your day 1 will most likely be a wash.. between the overnight flight and jet lag, you will most like be a zombie. I would cut out Northern Ireland all together and add days to your other stops so you are not doing single night stops all the time.

We had a much slower itinerary with kids who were 11 and 8.

Posted by
23268 posts

....when am I eating or going to the bathroom....?..... That is a self solving problem. If you don't eat or drink that solves the problem of finding restrooms. Second, not eating and drinking, especially beer in Ireland, saves a lot of time and money. So I think you that area well covered with your schedule.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks for all of the info. I just wanted to see how much I could fit in if we exhausted ourselves. HA.

Possible fixes:

Added another day in dublin.
Take out northern ireland (sad face)
Add another day to Kerry (split ROK into two days)
Take out Trim area completely
Add in Connemarra day trip for some hiking and Abbey

Sound reasonable?

Thanks for the repsonses