Please sign in to post.

Itinerary feedback request - 14 days in Ireland, have read RS Ireland 2019 & RS Best of Ireland

Hello,

Mom and college age daughter traveling through Ireland this July for 14 days. Appreciate thoughts on timing and itinerary:

Day 1 Arrive Dublin, train to Galway // stay in Galway

Day 2 Explore Galway // stay in Galway

Day 3 Explore Dooling/Cliffs of Moher // stay in Dingle

Day 4 Hike Dingle area // stay in Dingle

Day 5 Hike Dingle area // stay in Dingle

Day 6 Explore Dingle area // stay in Dingle

Day 7 Explore Kenmare // stay in Kenmare

Day 8 Skellig Michael // stay in Kenmare

Day 9 Explore Kinsale // stay in Cork

Day 10 Explore Cobh // stay in Cork

Day 11 Glendalough/Powerscourt Gardens // stay in Dublin

Day 12 Explore Dublin // stay in Dublin

Day 13 Explore Dublin // stay in Dublin

Day 14 Depart Dublin

We plan on hiring a car in Galway and returning once we get to Dublin on Day 11 or just at the airport. Appreciate thoughts. Tried not to move along too quickly and give ourselves a little time to wander.

Thank you in advance!

Posted by
2822 posts

Your overall pace seems fine.
As nice as Dingle is, you can pretty much see what there is to see and do what there is to do in about a day and a half. A more strategic location (IMO), ie one that's central to all of the attractions between Dingle and Killarney would be the stretch between Castlemaine and Glenbeigh. By basing yourselves there you could unpack once and settle in for 4 or 5 days, taking easy day trips to Killarney NP, the Gap of Dunloe, the Skellig Ring, and the village of Portmagee where the Skellig boats depart from.
Getting to Portmagee from Kenmare would be about a 2 hour drive, fyi. Estimated drive times provided by most of the popular mapping apps are notoriously optimistic.
Rather than staying in Cork I'd suggest a couple of nights in Kinsale - a very pretty seaside town with a lot to see and do - especially after the day trippers depart around 4 PM. Kinsale would be a good base for your day trip over to Cobh, and Cork is close by too.
Kenmare is a good choice for the southern part of the ROK, and particularly for the very pretty Beara peninsula - with scenery similar to the Ring of Kerry but with about 10% of the crowds ... especially in July.
Unless you're quite comfortable driving in city traffic I'd suggest returning your car to the airport and taking the Airlink bus or a taxi into town. Dublin city traffic can be daunting even for experienced drivers.
We've had pretty good luck with this website https://www.irishtrails.ie/ in planning our own hikes in Ireland. Have found their descriptions and estimated degree of difficulty to be on the mark.

Posted by
76 posts

I agree with Robert 100%...four nights in Dingle is too much.

I also think you're short-changing yourself on Day 3. There's a lot more to see in the area besides Doolin and the Cliffs of Moher. I personally would drive from Galway to around the east side of The Burren, passing Black Head lighthouse, and then down to Doolin, the Cliffs of Moher, and then head south to the Kilkee Cliffs, Bridges of Ross, Loop Head. You could stay in/near Kilrush or Killimer and, the next morning, take an early ferry from Killimer to Tarbert and then head down to Robert's great suggestion of Castlemaine.

A lot of people have no idea that places like the Kilkee Cliffs, Bridges of Ross and Loop Head even exist...but they're some of the most stunning places in Ireland, and well worth seeing.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks so much for the feedback, excited to research these tonight! We put more time in Dingle because were considering of doing a 2-3 day hillwalk tour and then to give us a down day in the mid-ish part of the trip. Many thanks for the hiking website. We definitely would rather unpack for more days than not, so will seriously consider the Castlemaine/Glenbeigh suggestion. Was staying in Cork to meet up with some old work friends, but I truly like the idea of Kinsale a bit better. I think Galway has a couple of festivals or other activities going on while we’re there, so honestly am okay with moving on, so heading to Doolin and the rest sounds great. Many kind thanks.