Please sign in to post.

Itinerary check

Hi,
Hubby and I have 15 nights in Ireland. I have made a tentative itinerary but have one more night and not sure where to put it. I would really appreciate another pair of eyes on it! This is our first time and I am mainly going off of RS recommendations.
Dublin 3 nights and 1 at the end if trip to fly out
Kilkenny 1 night
Kinsale 1 night
Kenmare 1 night
Dingle 3 nights
Galway 2 nights
Westport 2 nights

I didn't include Waterford because I thought we would stop at Cashel between Kilkenny and Kinsale.
Also because of time I thought it would work better to leave out Donegal and Northern Island (next trip). I know from experience not to cram too much into one trip!

Thanks in advance!!

Posted by
446 posts

You could add a night at Glendalough before Kilkenny or a night at Cashel before Kinsale. You could also add a night in the valley of the Boine north of Dublin on the way back there. We did 15 nights in 2015 but all were one nighters except Dublin. We really enjoyed Donegal and the Antrim Coast. Enjoy your trip. Ireland is amazing.

Posted by
1510 posts

We recently returned from 4 weeks in Ireland, also our first time there, and spent time in all the towns on your list. Remember that one night is essentially .5 days since you will probably arrive in town in the afternoon and leave shortly after breakfast. We stayed 2 nights in Westport but really felt we could have spent just one. Agree that you could start your driving trip with a visit Glendalough and spend the night in the village of Laragh (we drove directly to Laragh after we landed and visited Glendalough the next morning before leaving for Kilkenny). You could add 1 night to Kenmare to give you time to visit the Ring of Kerry and also the Beara Peninsula, which we felt was more beautiful than the RoK. We spent 2 nights in Dingle. We explored Dingle the first .5 day and drove around the Dingle Peninsula the second day and still had time to spend in Dingle that day. Don't know what you have planned for your time there but you might take one day from Dingle to add to the Valley of the Boine. The town of Trim is about .5 hours from Dublin so depending on the time of your flight, you could visit Newgrange and Knowth before spending your last night in Trim. Or you could save your Dublin days for the end of your trip. We spent our Dublin days at the end of our trip by doing what most people say not to do - we picked up our rental car at the airport and drove directly to Laragh through the Wicklow Mountains. This is something we're used to doing. We're not sleepy when we land and we had no problem adjusting to the car or the roads, but most people feel this is a stretch. By consolidating your Dublin days in one section you can maximize your time in town by spending 4 nights in a row. Wherever you decide to stay and whichever sights you visit, you will have a great time!

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks for the replies! I'm actually considering not pre-booking the lodging and just seeing about when we get there. There just seems to so much difference of opinion on what deserves days and how many! I think there should be plenty of options since we are going mid to late September. Any thoughts? My aunt did this a couple years ago.

Posted by
269 posts

I spent 24 days in Ireland in June, and I would have enjoyed spending an additional night in any of the places you have on your itinerary. I agree with your decision to skip Waterford as a place to spend the night. I regretted my night there and wish I had spent another night in Kilkenny instead and toured Cashel from there instead of from Waterford.

You didn’t state what your main interests are, so I’ll offer a few ideas based on possible interests.

I spent 2 nights in an Airbnb outside Portmagee (ROK peninsula) so I could have more time to view the ROK and take the tour to Skillig Michael (one of the highlights of the trip). It was a 15 minute drive to the pier where the boat left. These need to be booked in advance or show up early to be at the front of the line to get the last minute cancellations spots. Also, nearby Valentia Island is fun to tour, with great ocean cliff views that are less crowded than some spots. You could add an extra night near Portmagee or in Kenmare if these options interest you.

I assume you’ll visit the Cliffs of Mohr on your way from Dingle to Galway. I spent 3 nights in Galway so I could spend the day exploring the cliffs and arrive in the evening in Galway. I enjoyed taking time to walk along the cliff trails farther than most of the tours did. With more time I would have toured The Burren more; it’s a very different landscape.

Also, on one of my Galway days, I took a tour to the Aran Island of Inishmore which takes up most of the day. It was well worth it; my guide was Gabriel Faherty whose van is labeled “Boats to Goats.” A former fisherman, he now makes goat cheese on the island and had just won an award in a food competition. He was very entertaining and knowledgeable.

So depending on your interests, you could add another night in Galway to explore more of the countryside or an island; otherwise 2 nights is enough.

From Westport, I went to Sligo because I am a big W.B Yeats fan and wanted to see his grave at Drumcliffe Church and the awe inspiring view of Ben Bulben mountain. Sligo also has a nice river walk with good restaurants and coffee shops with river views. It has a nice abbey to visit as well. One night and part of a day would be enough.

Several people have recommended Trim (near Dublin), and I agree it’s worth a night. From there, it is a short distance to Bru na Boinne (the Newgrange mound). Going inside the mound was fascinating, and Trim has a wonderful river walk with scenic ruins and a grand castle.

As to pre-booking, even in June, I saw B&B's with vacancy signs as I drove into the towns on your list. Some were a few miles outside of town, but they looked nice. For Dublin, Galway, and Dingle, you may want to pre-book.