Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Advise

Have asked before and also have been reading the various threads on itinerary recommendations. Here's what we are thinking, will have a car but will turn it in once we get to Dublin based on the recommendations here. We arrive early in the morning to Dublin and plan to drive out the same day. Day 1 and 10 are flying days. Also, we have checked with various B&Bs and they all have availability. Last but not least, we are trying to maximize what we can see, however we always travel thinking that we will be back.

All this in early September, day 1= 9/5. Thanks in advance ...

So here it is,
1 - fly
2 Dublin - Galway
3 Galway - Doolin
4 Doolin
5 Doolin - Dingle
6 Dingle
7 Dingle - Kilkenny
8 Kilkenny - Dublin
9 Dublin
10 fly

OR, is it best to reverse (start with Dublin to Kilkenny to Dingle ... etc.)?

Posted by
16893 posts

I would continue with booking the places you have already checked out. I'm not aware of any advantage to reversing the order of travel.

Posted by
30 posts

We did the same route in reverse order except we didn't stay in Galway - did 2 nights each in the other 4 places. We had jet lag arriving in Dublin, it was our first time to Ireland and we had never driven on the left, so the shorter drive to Kilkenny (vs. Galway) was nice. It is about 3 hours to Galway on the motorway from Dublin, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi from Wisconsin,
Some flights go to Dublin and then on to Shannon. Or they drop into Shannon before hitting Dublin. Check if you can get out at Shannon. Shannon is so close to Doolin and all. It would save the cross country travel time. If you rent a car...the most obscure rental agency will have the newest and least expensive cars. And if you do rent a car...I have a drive for you. I can send you the map. It runs from Ballyvaughan (south along the coast from Galway to near Killnaboy. I is apretty small road. but there is a 4th century castle remains in amost dramatic setting. You do have to walk half a mile or so through cow pasture to get to it. Well worth it.

I know, I know...my address is wmcca@hotmail.com Ask forthe Map of Ireland to get to the Clare County castle. If you don't trust me, use a library computer. HA.

wayne INWI

Posted by
15 posts

I see nothing wrong with your order.

Not sure how long your flight will be but if you are suffering jet lag, the problem with Dublin is you have to push yourself to keep going and see everything. Dublin for us was non stop packed with things to do and fighting off jet lag was hard.

Galway will feel a lot like Dublin, tons of people, so if that's your thing great, but realize your first few days may feel overwhelming with tourists, locals, traffic, etc.

Also the drive from Dublin to Galway will be mostly on the Motorway I think the M6 or M4 so the drive is quick, but its wide lanes so you dont get much driving experience right way with narrow roads.

We chose the other way, we went from Dublin to Kilkenny and once we left Dublin everything slowed down and Kilkenny was great because we could unwind and not push hard to keep going.

We had 16 days and we were not able to see everything mostly due to crowds, and weather. Fog is the big buzzkill and if its too foggy its not worth driving when you cant see.

Posted by
53 posts

Hey thanks all for the responses and advice (with a "c"). I had also asked an Irish acquaintance (we met him playing golf in FL 3 years ago) about this and they invited us to spend the first day/night with them (Dublin). Right now leaning towards starting with Kilkenny and if anything has to be left out it will likely be Galway. There will be a next time.