Please sign in to post.

Itinerary advice

Hello! We are only in Ireland for 5 nights. We are arriving in Dublin on a Sunday night, Oct. 7 and leave on a Friday afternoon for London. We are thinking of renting a car and driving to Kilkenny for one night. Then on Monday taking our time driving to Kinsale, where we will spend three nights. As we have to fly out of Dublin Friday at noon, we thought we would drive a bit on Thursday, and spend a night somewhere mid-way from Kinsale and the airport in Dublin. Does anyone have a recommendation of where to stay?

Posted by
6788 posts

I think you might want to re-count the time you have available...

We are arriving in Dublin on a Sunday night...

OK, presumably you are not going to arrive at night after a long flight then jump in a car and drive away into the dark (on the wrong side of the road). At least I wouldn't recommend that. So, of your "5 nights" you spend the first one in Dublin.

So Monday you get up, rent a car and drive away to Kilkenny, sleep there Monday night. That's 2 out of your 5 nights spent. Tuesday you're going to "take your time" driving to Kinsdale and spend...well, I think you only have 2 nights left, since as you say you will spend night 5 on the way to Dublin.

One of us is counting days and nights wrong. Could be me, but I'll be at home in October, not missing a flight from Dublin...

Take a careful look at a calendar and count with caution.

Posted by
10 posts

Well let's say that I am suffering from research fatigue! LOL
Let me try again. We arrive at 11:00 am and will drive to Kilkenny for one night. Then drive to Kinsale for 3 nights stay, two full days, and then travel back on the Thursday, staying midway so that we have no problem with our flight departure on Friday.

Posted by
3122 posts

Your itinerary looks reasonable now that you've clarified your arrival time. Where to stay the night before your outbound flight -- you might look at towns/villages in the Wicklow Mountains National Park area. For example, there's a village called Hollywood. http://visitwicklow.ie/item/hollywood/#

Since your flight is in the afternoon, if you get up early you'll have part of the morning to look around. Do give yourself plenty of time to return the car and go through airport security, though. You never know if there could be a bad traffic jam, car rental delay because computers are down, that type of thing.

Posted by
10 posts

I would like to thank you for your recommendations. We decided to stay in the Wicklow Mountain area, and were pleasantly suprised with the beautiful walks, history and delicious restaurants.