Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Advice

I know this has been done a million times but I would kindly ask anyone for advice on my Ireland itinerary. My wife and I are going to Ireland for the first time in August. We like to do a lot of walking and some hiking, finding cool pubs, meeting locals, live music. Here goes:

Day 1 - land in Dublin in the early morning, wander a bit but will be jet lagged

Day 2 - Dublin (suggestions?), Guinness tour, Trinity College, Jameson Distillery

Day 3 - drive to Kenmare (or somewhere nearby), stop at Rock of Cashel (long driving day)

Day 4 - spend the day driving the Ring of Kerry, drive to Dingle

Day 5 - spend the day around the Dingle peninsula, things to see in the area?, is Conor Pass that bad?

Day 6 - spend the around the Dingle peninsula

Day 7 - drive to part way to Galway, stop and see Cliffs of Moher

Day 8 - explore around Galway (Aran Islands)

Day 9 - day trip north of Galway

Day 10 - drive to Dublin

Day 13 - day tour to Belfast

Day 14 - fly home

I have tried to keep the changing of accommodations to a minimum. Suggestions on things to see along the way. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Really looking forward to this trip. Thanks,

Mike

Posted by
1172 posts

I highly recommend Kilmainham gaol in Dublin. You will need to pre-purchase tickets on line. It was amazing.

Posted by
42 posts

I would echo the recommendation to see Newgrange, which is near Dublin. If you like live Irish music, then I would recommend spending longer in Dingle, the town, at least 2 nights if not more. The music scene in the pubs of Dingle is fantastic.

Posted by
359 posts

Connor Pass isn't bad. It's rough if you have a fear of heights....but it's beautiful.

On the Dingle peninsula a boat trip out to the deserted Blasket Islands is spectacular. You can pick up a quick boat from Dunquin or Gentry which is nice. We though prefer the full cruise out from Dingle. We saw dolphins, basking sharks, seals, whales and insanely beautiful scenery. Then Great Blasket.....being able to roam the ruins, walk the Island and be able to feel a lost time and place.......honestly for each of my family a true life highlight. Just an idea.....I'd read about it and see if it's something you would like.....but I can't recommend it highly enough. Oh and on a smaller scale if you drive out Slea Head make sure you go all the way to Dunquin.....it's amazing....and the home based bakeries there are incredibly good.

Cliffs of Moher beautiful but tourist overrun. It's okay but half hour away are the Cliffs of Kilkee which is far more wild and beautiful ....... and the Clffs at Dun Anghosa on the Arans also far more wild and beautiful.

Anyway Dingle is great. The Arans have a sad beauty (the loss of a way if life to mass tourism) but are well worth visiting. Galway is a pretty city......but a city. Connemara near Galway is fantastic.

Have a great time !!!!

Posted by
10 posts

Just a small suggestion for days 7/8. You may not need to stop at the cliffs of Moher on day 7 if you're doing the Aran Islands day 8. The Ferries that leave for the Aran Islands are right next to the Cliffs of Moher. If the weather is clear, your ferry might even drive by the cliffs on your return trip. You could save yourself a few hours of drive time by doing those the same day.

Posted by
509 posts

We would agree with above comment re Conor Pass. The very narrow section isn't very long; maybe a few hundred feet. We did happen to meet a threesome of on-coming vehicles on that stretch, and had to back up to a wide-spot. They were patient; driving slowly in reverse even on the curves wasn't bad. Unless it's raining or dark, I'd recommend it.

As for itinerary, it's certainly subjective; that said, I'd consider taking a Dingle night away and adding it to Kenmare. There's so much to see in Kerry (and you'll also be poised to spend a day driving the spectacular Beara Peninsula: no tour buses; beautiful scenery and villages; and the Healy Pass.)

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks everyone, these are great tips. I'm digging deeper in to some of these suggestions. It always helps to get many tips from people.