Please sign in to post.

Itinerary advice

I have 16 days to spend in Ireland in August, and I have something of an itinerary planned out. My fear is that it's too packed. Any feedback is very appreciated.

Day 1: Arrive in Dublin. See city

Day 2: Dublin. See Tara, Glendalough, Newgrange

Day 3: Finish with Dublin. Drive to Belfast. See Castle Ward

Day 4: Explore some Belfast. Drive to Portrush. See Cushendun Caves, Magheramorne Quarry, Downhill Beach, Carrick-a-reed, Giant's Causeway. If I have time I'll see Rathlan Islands and Bushmills

Day 5: Portrush. See above.

Day 6: Drive from Portrush to Silgo. See Yeats' Grave

Day 7: Drive from Silgo to Galway. Explore Galway.

Day 8: Drive from Galway to Limerick.

Day 9: Drive from Limerick to Killorglin. Spend some time at the Puck Fair. Drive down to Portmagee.

Day 10: Skellig Islands. Explore Portmagee and the peninsula.

Day 11: Drive back to Limerick. Spend a few days there. See Cliffs of Moher, ROC, King John's Castle, Mitcheltown Caves.

Day 12: see above

Day 13: drive from Limerick to Cork. See Blarney Castle, Kinsale

Day 14: Stay in Cork and explore the area.

Day 15: Drive back to Dublin.

Day 16: fly back to the states.

Posted by
148 posts

Wow! Are these mostly one night stays? Those are exhausting.

Although I have not been to Ireland yet (we leave in 2 weeks for 15 nights), I have done extensive research. I think you may have too much crammed in your itinerary and no time to just "experience Ireland" rather than rush from site... but I'll refrain from too much comment and see what the experts say.

It's great that you are including No. Ireland, too. We arrive into Belfast for 3 nights and travel clockwise to Connemara area and leave from Shannon. We made concessions: We are not seeing New Grange, Limerick, Tara, Blarney, Cork, and unfortunately we are only passing through Galway for a few hours on a travel day. I can elaborate more in a few weeks.

Posted by
53 posts

In my opinion, having spent 3 weeks there in May, you are packing to much in too little time. In fact, days 4 & 11/12 look impossible to me. We found that it took us longer to get from Point A to Point B than we expected and, of course, you will want to spend some time at each site-- not just drive past! For instance, when you do go to a site you will probably have to wait for the next scheduled tour, etc. It all takes more time than you might anticipate.

That said, you will have fun, especially if you give yourself some breathing room,

Posted by
15589 posts

Take into account driving times. I was on a guided tour and we spent very little time on the major motorways. That may have been because our guides chose scenic routes or it may have simply been the only way to get to our destinations. What impressed me was how slow the driving was. Much of the time, we were on narrow 2-lane roads with curves and/or hills. And more than once, we were held back by a very slow-moving vehicle ahead of us.

Posted by
446 posts

I won't try to discourage you from one night stays, as that is what we did for 15 days in May 2015. We made a clockwise loop around the Republic and NI and saw a lot. It was a great trip. You do have too much packed in some of the days with driving and sightseeing. A real problem is on day 2 where you have Newgrange, Tara which are north of Dublin and Glendalough which is south of Dublin. This is not doable. Day 4 looks too packed as well.

Plan your route with Google Maps and add 25% more drive time. For most of our destinations that was very accurate.

Another really good planning tool is the Heritage Ireland website which lists many major tourist sights and gives detailed info on hours, costs, and average length of visit. Use in conjunction with the driving times to see how far you can go and how much you can see. You will find you have to prioritize and edit the wish list. PM me if you would like. Good luck. You will love Ireland.