Please sign in to post.

Is three days in Galway City too many?

Hello,

We arrive June 10 to Shannon Airport and plan on traveling by Taxi To Galway.
Stay in Galway June 10-11-12 and check out on the 13th.
We then plan to hire Kerry Experience tours to get us from Galway to Killarney.
Stay in Killarney 12-13-14 and check out Friday morning the 15th. Kerry experience tours Quoted us $ 1350 for the three days in Killarney and the transfer to Shannon on Friday to a hotel near the Airport.
June 13th:

Starting from Galway around 10am

Transfer to Killarney, with some stops along the way. For example Bunratty Castle & Folk Park, and Adare.
June 14th
Day tour Undiscovered Ring of Kerry. Some highlights as well as the most beautiful places off the beaten track. Mountain passes, narrow coastal roads, Valentia Island, Skellig Ring, and much more.
June 15th
Day Tour: Dingle Peninsula. Inch Beach, Dingle Town & Harbour, ancient beehive huts, Slea Head coastal drive, etc.

June 16th

Transfer from Killarney to Shannon.

Posted by
2114 posts

Ann,
I guess the question would be: What do you plan to do in Galway? To stay there the entire three days, I think that is too ample. To use it as a base for touring up the the Connemara region (which really is lovely and should not be missed...Sky Road is listed in National Geographic's 500 Journeys of a Lifetime book), visiting the Cliffs of Moher, and The Burren, then it's not really too much time. But, I would probably personally prefer to divide up the three days, staying in the Cong area, then staying in Doolin (for closer access for the Cliffs and Buren).

But, we need more info on what your plans are to really advise if three nights is too much time.

If your budget allows, try to spend at least one night at Ashford Castle or otherwise pop in for lunch..........it really is wonderful (and it is in Cong) a nice place to rest after touring the Connemara region.

Likely your tour company will take you to Connor's Pass while you are in the southern part of the country. It's fabulous and should not be missed, and you'll be glad someone else is driving :)

Sounds like you will see a lot, and that's the way to do it :)

Posted by
7 posts

Hello and thank you for your very helpful comment! We are staying in Galway first because my Mum was born and lived on College Road until she emigrated to Boston in the 1950's. I was hoping to also find a way to travel to Dunmore where my Dad was born to see a brother and sister of his that live there still. As we are not renting a car I am not sure that I will be able to travel to Dunmore.
I was planning on a trip to Connemara with one of my Galway Aunts driving. My cousins don't have drivers licenses so I think will hire a driver through TOURSBYLOCALS.COM for a tour of anywhere else.
I was thinking of hiring someone to show us the Cliffs of Moher on our was from the Airport when we arrive very early in the morning because we can't check in to Jury's until the afternoon.I was Quoted $ $ 414 for this. I haven't ever traveled overnight and was not sure that I would be alert enough for touring the morning we arrive. I have canc
I also as an alternative got a quote from a cab from Shannon to Galway of $ 195. Thoughts anyone?
I really wanted to stay at a castle, but they were all booked. Ashford was $ 600 a night!

Posted by
2114 posts

Ann,
Contact this person to see if he can give you a better quote for seeing the Cliffs from the Shannon Airport (and actually for any other portions of your trip).

Tony McGann
(00353)(0)65-7074790
(00353)(0)87-2422950
tonyscabdoolin@eircom.net

You may not hear back from him until April (but, you might also hear back from him sooner), as he is currently traveling himself. When you email him, give him your dates in your email subject line, so he will know to respond more quickly. If he can't drive himself, he will likely be able to connect you with someone else.

We used him as a driver, then recommended him to friends who were going to Ireland two years later, and they were thrilled w/ him. He provides his own vehicle (a large VW passenger van), takes care of all fuel, parking, tolls, and his own meals/overnights.

When we were in Ireland, my husband had just finished a series of chemo treatments the month before, so it was nice to have a local driving and Tony was great about getting us as close to sights as possible (to reduce walking). We are normally big walkers, but at that time, it was nice to make it a little easier for my husband.

Safe and happy travels on this very special trip you are taking :)

Posted by
7 posts

Hello Maggie,
Thank you for your recommendation of Tony. I had emailed him last week. He was busu , but recommended someone else also for $ 450 a day.
I hope your husband is well. All the Best, Ann

Posted by
2114 posts

Ann,
Wow...the prices have gone up since we were there 4 years ago!! But, even paying for a private driver, it is still less expensive than taking a guided pre-packaged group tour, and you will get to do exactly what you want, when you want, so it could be money well spent. Would the Kerry Experience tour company provide transport from Shannon thru Doolin and on up to Galway for you, since you are using them for other days? They might give you a nice price to handle your entire journey???
I hope you have an incredible trip. My only words of advice are: If you want to do something, just make it happen....visit those you might want to visit on the trip. Once you make the long journey to Ireland, the extra costs will likely be forgotten later, but the memories will stay with you forever.
I hope your cancer type is curable and that you enjoy a complete recovery!! None of us ever knows what is around the corner in our lives, so we just have to live each day to the fullest.
Safe & happy travels.
Also, you mentioned in one of your posts that you were not sure how much touring you could do on the first day, since this will be your first time traveling to Europe. While there are some people who can just keep going until dark after arriving, we typically start fading around 2 or 3:00, depending on how much sleep we were able to get on the long flights. I think it would be very reasonable to get picked up at the Shannon Airport, then swing by the Cliffs of Moher (allowing about 1.5 to 2 hours to visit there, depending on your energy level), then travel along the coast to Galway, veering off to see a bit of The Burren. In Galway, you would likely enjoy a stroll down Key Street, where there on cafes and street music, then I would suggest a good nap.....or take a nap upon arriving in Galway (after the Cliffs/Burren) and then go back out to Key Street early that evening (and call it an early night). That way you will have good energy for the next day.
And, depending on which cancer treatment you are under, you will want to take extra precautions by using Wet-Wipes, etc. for your plane, hotel, etc. and have a little extra protein while traveling. Also, if you quietly and kindly explain to hotels, airline, etc. that you are battling cancer, it is amazing how kindly rooms can be made available earlier or nicer seats might be quietly made available to you. If you have an implanted chemo port, don't forget to take a letter from the doctor to hand to the TSA agents (will make your screening much easier). Also, if you have long connects to make in places like Newark or NY, go ahead and arrange for the little cart to meet you and take you to your other gate. The Shannon airport is very small, so you won't have problems there. Pack light, so your luggage is easy.
Safe travels and lots of happy memories!

Posted by
2114 posts

Ann,
One last thought:

If you haven't already checked w/ your hotels and B&Bs, ask them for recommendations on local drivers. Ditto for any B&Bs in the town where your uncles live. Often the smaller, local hotels know of good local drivers who are much less expensive. And, often drivers will negotiate a bit to handle your entire journey (and if there are times/days you don't need that driver, then he/she is free to take other fares during those time blocks). But, other times a series of different drivers might make more sense (because their journeys would be closer to their home bases and trade areas).

But you gotta ask yourself: When will I be back to Ireland? If the answer is likely never, then see/do what you want while you are there. But, also build in some downtime for yourself. My husband kept apologizing to me when he took an afternoon nap while we were at Ashford, and I kept telling him he could not have selected a more lovely place to do it, as I enjoyed looking out the lovely corner windows as he rested :) If your treatments are making you drag a bit at home, you can expect to be a little more tired on on a trans-Atlantic journey, when you will be sleeping in unfamiliar beds with different pillows, etc. So, enjoy and see a lot, but also take good care of yourself while traveling. And, if you don't already walk a lot at home, consider increasing your activity leading up to your trip. And, likely you have already sought advice/consulted with your oncologist re: travel advice/precautions.