Please sign in to post.

Is this a reasonable itinerary?

This is our first trip to Ireland. We prefer to settle in an area as much as possible. My teenagers don't feel well when we drive too long so I've worked in lots of downtime.
Thanks

Dublin
Day 1 19th June arrive Dublin airport 1130am, 130pm at hotel, walk around/chill
tea, look around dinner, early night
2 city tour, museums: shackleton exhibition, book of kells,
3 Cemetery tour, national library of Ireland, Irish dancing, shopping
4 Day trip to Kilkenny – jerpoint glass, Waterford – the irish handmade glass co
5 Guiness storehouse tour, Jean Johnston – tall ship, Wicklow - archery

train to Cork 3 hrs + to station and to new hotel = 4.5-5 hrs, rent a car

Cork
6 (24th) check in hotel:
7 -------, poss falconry, Rock of Cashel/Cahir, Blarney Castle
8 Day trip to Mizen Head lighthouse and visitor center, poss Bantry House, poss Clonakilty

Drive to Kenmare 1.5 hrs

Kenmare
10(28th) check in: Torc waterfall, Muckross, if gd weather- Blk Valley & Gap of Dunloe
11 ---------, falconry,
12 hire a driver(?) Day trip Ring of Kerry
13 ----------, sheep shearing, Killarney National Park, Drive to Dingle 1.5 hrs o/n in Dingle

Dingle
14 (1st) Dingle Peninsula and Slea Head (Amex bus tour 6.5 hrs or drive ourselves)

Galway
15 drive north 3 hrs to Cliffs of Moher, possible boat tour if calm and clear, drive to Galway 1.5 hrs possible o/n in Galway

Dublin
16 train back to Dublin 2.5-3 hrs, remainder of day and o/n in Dublin
17 (4th July) fly out

Posted by
317 posts

Greetings from Ireland. Delighted your coming to Ireland.
Thats a very detailed itinerary, you've obviously done your research.

Heres my opinions as a professional tour-guide, parent and Irishman.
1. its very heavy on Dublin 5 days or nights in Dublin is a long time, I wouldve thought 3 (4 max) would be more apt
2. by hiring a car in a smaller regional centre like cork and dropping it off in Galway you will incur needless extra charges. Better to pick up in Dublin and drop iff in Dublin. The car journeys from Dublin to cork and from Galway to Dublin are on excellent roads and the journeys are easy. The journeys your kids may feel unwell from will be the days driving to mizen head and the cliffs etc
3. You will be taking the train past Cashel and Cahir en route from Dublin to Cork. That time and money could be used driving from Dublin to Cork and stopping off at Cashel and Cahir en route. Trains in Ireland can be expensive if not booked online, and the Dublin to Cork train is often like those trains you see on the TV in India, so packed and awful. I now will only take that journey if there is a first-class carriage available. I have had few too many nightmares on that train from having to spend those hours going to cork with semi-savages on the train, drinking and being obnoxious. My friend from California refuses to take the train from Dublin to anywhere because of some of his experiences. my bad experience rate on the train stands at 20% of all the journeys I take and I travel around Ireland every week, there sins single other citizen who travels it more than I. (if you do end up taking the train, book a first-class ticket, its not much extra online and its a whole different level of comfort, and security!)
4. 1 day in Dingle just isn't enough, based on the things to do and see there, and the fact you seem to be eager for some downtime in wonderful places. Cork city would not be my choice for that.

Theres loads more points I could make but Im off to some Easter celebrations. Let me know if you have any questions.

Slainte/good health
Stephen Mcphilemy
Rick Steves Ireland Tour-Guide
Dingle & Derry