Please sign in to post.

Is it possible?

Hello my name is Gerardo. I have never been to Ireland and need some realistic thoughts. I have 4 days. I have rented a van to get around. Is it possible to spend the first day/ night in Dublin? Day 2: Leave around 5-6 in the morning. Arrive in Galway for breakfast and a couple of hours. Drive to the Cliffs of Moher. Snap Afew pictures pick a few flowers for my daughter. Drive to Nenagh, with a pit stop (about a couple of hours) in Limerick. Stay the night at the Abbey. Day 3: Rise early again drive directly to Cork. Drive out to Dungarvan that evening. Day 4: Drive to Waterford and stay until around 12 pm. Drive back to Dublin stopping and sightseeing around Kilkenny. We will be going mid August.

Posted by
3 posts

As in impossible that I couldn't physically do it, or that it takes too long to drive all those places. I calculated drive times using viamichelin.com and calculate a total of 17 hours in driving time. The places we are going to are to take pictures and see through our eyes. I hear that in August darkness falls around 8:30 to 9:00 pm. Please if you have any advice or information I would truly appreciate it.

Posted by
1172 posts

Drive times in Ireland are longer than what you will get from google maps or any other such site. I would add 50% to the time to be on the safe side.

Can you do it? Probably but my bigger questions is... Do you really want to? We did a very similar circuit last summer over 14 days. One of the greatest things about our trip was the side stops that we made... the great dinners in the pubs that turned into 3 hour experiences from the great Irish people we met, the fun picnics on the beach as drove the Ring of Kerry and Slea head etc.

With 4 days, I would pick one stop ( maybe Dublin? ) and concentrate of seeing what is around there and maybe make one day trip out to Howth/Killiney or even Belfast.

As Rick Steves says assume that you will be back!

Posted by
8688 posts

You asked a question. I answered it.

I've driven the entire island twice.

Drive times are long than shown via Michelin or any other map app.

Appreciating Ireland is about slowing your pace of travel for safety and sanity.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for the insight it is much appreciated. I will tailor our stay to better fit the time frame. I was not trying to be rude just trying to accommodate everybody for the trip. I think we will stay in Dublin and take a day trip to Waterford. I really appreciate the responses.

Posted by
1172 posts

jinks338... you were not being rude at all and I completely understand trying to please everyone and the wanting to see and do as much as you can.... I started off that way when planning our trip last year... wanted to do all of Ireland and then.... I realized that the whole point of our trip was to experience Ireland and the Irish and not just say that we saw x, y, z... that is how we ended up just doing the South... we will do the North another time :)

Enjoy your trip!