Please sign in to post.

Irish Rail

Hello
My husband and I will be in Ireland for 8 nights in July, the first 2 nights in Dublin then taking the train to Killarney for 3 nights with a day trip to Dingle. then to Cobh for 2 nights and then back to Dublin for the last night.
My question is about taking luggage on the train, is anyone able to tell me what size luggage each of us can take on the train, all I've been able to read is that it needs to stay with us.

Any info would be appreciated and welcome,

Barbara

Posted by
8410 posts

You need to be able to take your luggage up and down steps on and off the train quickly. A practical rule of thumb is to not take a bag that you can't lift and move easily and that each person needs to be responsible tor their own luggage. Carry on is an ideal size for this purpose.

Posted by
14 posts

The trains have a shelf above the seats that will hold a carry-on bag (my small roller bag fit up there perfectly).

For larger bags, there are racks at the end of the car where you can store them while you're riding, but if you aren't seated nearby, you won't be able to keep an eye on them. If you book a ticket online, you can select your seat and try to get one that's close to the rack (the online seating plans show where racks are located).

I agree with the advice about being cognizant of how much baggage you can reasonably carry on and off a train (or through a station). While the stations I went through were fairly easy to navigate, I was glad I packed light when I used the trains to get around on my trip last year.

Posted by
8889 posts

what size luggage each of us can take on the train, all I've been able to read is that it needs to stay with us.

Not just that, more importantly, you are totally responsible for carrying your luggage. Through the station, onto the train and storing it. The size limit is that imposed by your muscles.
I suggest you read this webpage. Info and pictures, It is about luggage on trains in general, not specific to Ireland: https://www.seat61.com/luggage-on-european-trains.htm