Please sign in to post.

Ireland/Scotland vacation

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a two week vacation for this summer, either July or August. We are debating between visiting Ireland and Scotland or Italy. I also posted this in the Italy forum but thought I would post here to get more input on the Ireland end. We are very indecisive and could use some help deciding which trip to go with. We are both in our late 20s, enjoy being active, culturally immersed and are really looking for a romantic trip :) Our rough itinerary should we choose Ireland would be renting a car from Dublin, primarily doing the south loop, and then taking a flight from Dublin to Edinburgh. I know both trips would be vastly different so we are open to hearing anything that may help us decide between the two.

Posted by
6788 posts

July and August. Italy will be HOT -- and crowded. Italy is great, but I wouldn't do it during the peak summer season of heat and crowds (neither optimizes the romantic).

OTOH, in July and August, Ireland or Scotland generally enjoy their "best" weather of the year (for tourists who enjoy outdoor activities). Although it's also their peak (most busy) tourist season, IMHO the good weather and long days of summer make that a good time to go.

That said, I believe it would be a mistake to try to do both Ireland and Scotland in a single, two week trip. Both countries are wonderful, bigger than many tourists think they are, and both have enough good stuff to see and do that having less than a week in each would leave you disappointed, wishing you had had more time to spend it each.

With two weeks, pick one or the other: Ireland or Scotland, not both. You will be glad you did.

Posted by
27112 posts

My suggestion is that you skim through a guidebook to Scotland before deciding to try to see both Scotland and Ireland on a 2-week trip. Two weeks all in Scotland would require a lot of painful decisions. I imagine Ireland also has way more great sights than could be seen in 6 or 7 days.

I'd choose Italy rather than too little time in Ireland plus too little time in Scotland. Two weeks in Italy will also require hard choices, but at least you won't lose a big chunk of a day in the middle of the trip, dealing with airports or a ferry.

Oops: David's right; I wasn't thinking about the timing. Most of Italy could be really unpleasantly hot in July and August. I'd choose either Ireland or Scotland.

Posted by
7033 posts

Just for reference I have spent 27 days in Ireland and 14 days in Scotland. If I get another trip to Europe one of the places I want to go is back to Scotland to see some places I didn't get to in 2 weeks. Sure it can be done with a week in each but as others noted you will leave wishing you have more time in both of them.

As for Italy, I've been in July and it was hot but not intolerable. However, that was 15 years ago and the crowds where nothing like they are now. And it's hotter in the summer now than back then. It can be especially brutal if you are outdoors and hiking during the mid-day time period.

Posted by
27112 posts

I spent 26 days in Scotland last year and it wasn't long enough. I admit to spending more time in museums than most people, so I had extra days in Edinburgh and Glasgow (plus I included Dundee), but it takes a lot of time to move around the beautiful rural areas in Scotland.

Posted by
1172 posts

I would pick one destination and spend the two weeks in one country. I myself would pick Ireland as Italy will be crazy hot and crowded that time of year.

Posted by
15 posts

My husband and I are in our early 30s and did Italy last summer and Scotland a few summers ago. We adored Scotland and will be spending three weeks in Scotland and Ireland this summer so I think it’s clear what my preference is :) With two weeks, I don’t think it would be a horrible idea to just choose either Scotland or Ireland. We spent a week in Scotland and easily could have spent more time, hence the return trip. We haven’t been to Ireland yet, so I can’t comment on my preference between the two.

If you do choose Italy, which was also great, I would recommend choosing a place outside of the major cities, which will be packed with tourists at that time of year. We stayed outside of Montepulciano for a week and had a wonderful, relaxing time. So much good food and wine. We also visited Venice, which was not my cup of tea, and Slovenia (amazing!) on that trip. Good luck in your choice and have a great time!

Posted by
7360 posts

Too bad you can’t just flip a 3-sided coin 😊

But actually, on 2 trips to Ireland, and not having yet visited the far south, or southeast parts, our favorite has been on the west side of the island. Galway over Dublin, if we had to pick. Trip out to Inishmore and the Aran Islands. Down to Dingle, with the towns in between. B&B’s are great, and hotels in bigger places can work, but for a romantic getaway, would renting a cottage be of interest? Ireland (especially west) has outstanding food, and great music, to go with the scenery and activity options.

Both Ireland and Scotland would involve driving on the left side of the road, if that would make a difference. We’re planning on spending several weeks in Scotland this summer, having made our second trip to Ireland a year ago. Shannon Airport in western Ireland offers an alternative to flying in and/or out of Dublin.

As already said, seeing an entire country takes a long time, but if you were determined to see some of both Ireland and Scotland, you could feature a more rural trip in Ireland, followed by some time in more urban Edinburgh (with Glasgow too?). Some of Scotland’s charms include places off the mainland: Shetland and Orkney islands way up north, the Isle of Skye to the west. Some of those places feel pretty remote, which can be romantic, too.