Please sign in to post.

Ireland/Scotland

I am picking up my son from a study abroad in Southampton. I would like to travel to Ireland or Scotland after I pick him up for 5-7 days. We are on a tight budget. We would like to see more history, castles or really nice scenery then nightlife and shopping. This will be mid June. Thanks

Posted by
2398 posts

You would probably find it easiest to fly from Southampton Airport to Ireland or Scotland. You should be able to find flights to Dublin or Edinburgh by checking on www.skyscanner.net - click ‘monthly view’.

If you wish to take the train to Scotland, then use www.nationalrail.co.uk This will come up with 2 routes - one via Birmingham and the other via London - which involves a tube journey across the city from Waterloo Station to King’s Cross. (You may find it cheaper to purchase split tickets with the split being at London / or Birmingham). Fares rise as the date approaches.

I would also consider going to Wales as it is not as far. Direct trains go from Southampton to Cardiff & take about 2 hours 45 minutes.
I know that Cardiff is a city but it does have 4 very different castles which can all be easily reached by public transport:> Cardiff Castle, Caerphilly Castle, Castell Coch & St.Fagans Castle & Museum. Dyffryn Gardens - about a 25 minute bus ride from Cardiff (to St.Nicholas) plus a 1 mile walk down a country lane - is also a nice place to visit in this area. If you want another castle - take the 35 minute train ride to Chepstow to see the castle and then bus up the Wye Valley to Tintern Abbey. Google the places mentioned if interested. www.seewales.com run mini bus tours from Cardiff.
http://www.visitcardiff.com

Posted by
5256 posts

I would also agree with the Wales option unless there was a particular reason for Ireland or Scotland. There's a greater concentration of castles in Wales and the smaller geographymakes it easier to travel between them. Plenty of history and scenery and not too long a journey from Southampton.