Please sign in to post.

Ireland Itinerary Help

My mom and I have a 10 full days in Ireland. We are having a tough time getting comfortable with the itinerary we created. We want to see as much as possible and not feel overwhelmed with getting place to place. We are currently planning on renting a car to drive the itinerary. When I map the distances these all sound very doable, but would appreciate some feed back.
Day 1 -3 Dublin
Day 4 Drive from Dublin to Killarney- stop in Kilkenny and Cork.
Day 5 Kilarney: The Ring of Kerry Killarney
Day 6 Kilarney to Limerick: Skellig Michael, Dingle Pennisula
Day 7 Limerick to Sligo: Cliffs of Moher, stops in Doolin & Galway
Day 8 Sligo to Bushmill: Giants Causeway, Dunluce Castle

Day 9 Bushmill to Belfast
Day 10 Belfast to Dublin
Day 11 Fly home

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Cami

Posted by
7355 posts

Cami- hope you and your Mom have a great trip. We’ve one 2 trips to Ireland, one south and one north, but neither have included everything you’ve mentioned. Our first trip (south) was mostly by bicycle, so it took longer than a car, and we went directly from Dublin to Galway (without seeing Dublin), then biked down as far as Skellig Michael, went to Limerick by bus to turn in our rental bikes, then home from Shannon Airport.

Trip 2, last September, we mostly had a car, but went directly again from Dublin Airport to Galway by bus, then clockwise up thru Sligo, Bushmills (seeing the Giant’s Causeway but got cut out of a whiskey distillery tour because they were too full and we’d have to wait for the next tour an hour later, but we had to move onward), a night outside Belfast (staying at the Old Inn in Crawfordsburn), then to Dublin via Trim.

So we moved slower to get all those places, and staying longer at times. Can’t speak about your days 4-6 as haven’t been there, but Skellig Michael itself took us the better part of a day, if you’re going to the Island itself by boat, hiking to the monks’ beehive huts at the top, hiking back down along Puffin burrows, and back to the mainland by boat. You could drive to Dingle faster than the 1 1/2 days it took me, but that still leaves very little Dingle time, and staying at least a couple nights would make it more worth your Dingle Peninsula visit. The next day, Limerick to Sligo, could conceivably be done, but with stops in Doolin AND Galway (including finding a parking place in Galway), seems overly ambitious, unless you’re prepared to pretty much see Ireland through your car windows, and doing virtual drive-bys with really short stops. And maybe you don’t need much sleep and are doing fast meals, but food and sleep will need to be factored in, too. Western and northwestern Ireland, in particular, offer really great restaurants and excellent pub and seafood, worth taking your time to enjoy.

Day 9, just Bushmills to Belfast, is certainly doable, although we went from Bushmills (after the distillery gave us an unworkable offer to wait around until 11:00 AM) to The Gobbins guided hike north of Belfast, than finally getting to the Belfast area very late in the afternoon. Maybe our roadside picnic table lunch also made our pace slower, but we had no time to see Belfast itself that day. The next morning, we drove out of Belfast, in the opposite direction of the rush-hour traffic jams, so really missed the Belfast sights in the city itself. You may have more time on Day 10 to see everything you have planned for Belfast, especially if you don’t need to see anything more in Dublin near the end of that day, having been there at the start of your trip. Newgrange and/or other Neolithic sights are worthwhile, if your itinerary allows.

You could pass through every city on your list by car, but cutting a day or two of traveling, at a minimum, to slow things down just a bit is what I’d need to do to travel at the pace I’ve developed, to have enough time to experience places, rather than do what I’d feel was a limiting drive-by. Maybe skip Northern Ireland this trip, even though the Giant’s Causeway is fantastic? And remember your 2-3 days in Northern Ireland involve having UK pounds for money, and driving in miles per hour, vs. the Euros and kilometers per hour in The Republic of Ireland farther south. . . Not a problem, but remember to allow for those differences. Hope you see what you want to see, with enough time to get there and see it, without too much driving each day.

Posted by
2 posts

Hi Cami,
You have set a pretty hectic schedule in my opinion. In Dublin I'd recommend Kilmainham Jail, The Guinness Storehouse, Trinity College and the book of Kells. The GPO is well worth a look as is epic.
Trying to take in both Kilkenny and Cork on route to Killarney is a very long day, have you specific reasons for Cork and Kilkenny?
To be honest I would look at maybe Cahir Castle and the Rock of Cashel on route as opposed to the cities.Dublin to Killarney non stop is over 3 and a half hours so I think its crazy trying to squeeze in 2 cities on route.
For day 5 the Ring of Kerry is a full day 9-6pm taking an hour for lunch and 12-15 stops, that only leaves the evening to explore Killarney and there is no late access to the National Park late in the evening, You might want to look at a second day in Killarney.
Day 6 will be hard especially if planning on landing on the Skellig, this needs to be reserved well in advance and you would be leaving Killarney about 7.30am to get to Portmagee for sailing, you will not be back on land until close on 3pm and you are over 2 hours from Dingle!! To do Dingle Peninsula and the town you need a minimum of 4 hours. Bear in mind Dingle is close to 2 and a half hours from Limerick.
Day 7 is certainly doable as is day 8, day 9 is fine too.
I'm not trying to burst your bubble but I do think you need to look at D ay 4,5 and 6. I live in this area and will help in any I can if you have queries.
Padraig

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi from Wisconsin,

Too much for 10 days. You will mentally break down trying to keep up with your schedule. You will curse the roads, the construction, the other drivers and not have the Irish trip you desire and deserve.

Dublin is worthy of at least two days or three with short visits north or south. Someone already mentioned the gaol, and GPO.

St. Stevens Green is a park occupying a small square at the head of Grafton St. It is a park designed for the blind. Arromatic flowers are planted in the park so the blind can enjoy the colors. It is worth a walk around.

And then stroll down Grafton St. Turning right at Parnell St. Visit the book shops and discover that most every person in Ireland is an author, now go into Trinity College, see the obligatory Book of Kells, but also stop to see the Henry Moore sculpture under a massive American Maple. The Irish Bank is across the street as is a statue of Molly Malone. Step into the bank. It was the Parluament Building at one time. Go up O'Connell St to the GPO. And circle the block looking for the Moore St Market.

Don't forget to have a pint of Guinness along the way.

In the area is Christ Church, and St. MICHAN'S with the keyboard on which Handel first played his Oratorio.

Half penny bridge us free these days cross it.

So much to see and we haven't even visited the hewer in the sewer.

St. Kevin's at Glendalough is a quick bus excursion into the Wiclow Mountains south of Dublin. Or a visit to the Boyne River Valley north of Dublin with the megalithic tombs via bus

Now Drive across Ireland to Galway and make a choice, north along the coast or south. Each has its strengths. But doing an entire loop to the north through Belfast and down to Dublin is too much. As is a complete southern loop. Galway to Cork and Cashel is doable.

Either direction, for sanity sake, must be cut short and you take a big road back to Dublin.

Ireland should be slow with as many interactions with the Irish as possible. You will discover that they are more beautiful and fun than any destination. Drive into a small town and buy a loaf of Irish Brown bread, many places will sell a half loaf, then seek out a piece of fine Irish cheese or just some butter. A can of something to drink and if you played your cards correctly, that could have been three stores and three clerks plus the person on the street. The Irish love tourists who are not in a hurry. Ach, and if there is a mother and baby somewhere stop and say what a gorgeous baby it is. Enjoy lunch with the bread somewhere along the way. My bet is you will play this game more than once. Start by asking an adult on the street where you can get the best Irish brown bread. That could start a long story of who used to but doesn't now...

Enjoy, reduce the driving distances and relax.

Wayne iNWI

Posted by
266 posts

Cami,

This will require a lot of driving with not much time to enjoy some of the places. Assuming Day 1 is not the day your flight arrives, and you have 10 full days, that’s still a short time to travel around most of the island.

If you haven’t booked a flight, you might look at flying into Dublin and out of another city, which saves you a day of driving back to Dublin just to fly home.

Consider focusing on several regions and enjoying more time there rather than trying to see some many cities, towns, and places. Part of the experience is having time to enjoy talking to people, listening to music in pubs, walking around a place, and just driving in no hurry as you take in the scenery.

Driving times will take much longer than Google (or other online maps) suggest even if you just drive. By the time you stop to enjoy views or take photos, the driving times will get even longer.

For example, Day 7 is at least 5 ½ hours of driving if all goes well, which doesn’t allow much time to enjoy the places listed.

Consider thinking about experiences. If you visit both Dublin and Belfast, you’ll see two cities with different appeals and offerings. Could you cut some of the other cities (Galway or Limerick) to enjoy other places more?

Both the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Peninsula offer spectacular coastal drives. With only 9 days, could you just select one and take more time to enjoy the one you choose?

As others have noted, if you intend to visit Skillig Michael, that takes most of the day if you actually spend time on the island. Even a boat that just takes you around it for photographs takes several hours. It is such a different place, that it is worth the time to visit, but that may mean not stopping in one of the places on your list for a few brief minutes.

Ireland is a great place to visit with lots to enjoy, so don't worry about not being able to get to all of it.

All the best,

Raymond