Please sign in to post.

Ireland itinerary

After staying in Dingle for two nights I will be heading to Dublin for two nights with return flight home. I have four open nights between Dingle and Dublin. Please advise on best locations to maximize seeing as much as possible and for how long in each destination and should I eliminate a town. Considering Killarney, Kinsale and Kilkenny as evening stops with day trips to surrounding areas. Not planning on seeing Waterford, Wexford and Wicklow areas this trip. Please help…

Posted by
508 posts

I suggest foregoing the tourist trap town of Killarney. It's pretty enough yet full of tourist buses and their crowds. But in that area, absolutely do drive up the Gap of Dunloe and Moll's Gap.

You'll get a much better feel for Irish culture, fabulous scenery and opportunities for ferries to some offshore islands in villages like Portmagee (ferry to Great Skellig), which is just off the southwest corner of the Ring of Kerry; Allihies (no ferry) on the Beara Peninsula; Bantry (a two-minute ferry ride to Whiddy Island) on the eponymous bay; Baltimore (ferry to Cape Clear Island or Sherkin Island), just south of Bantry; Cobh (no ferry), just outside Cork; or Kinsale (no ferry), south of Cork. Those that may warrant more than a one-night stay are Bantry and Kinsale.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks David, after reading lots of suggestions, I’m thinking 1 night in Kenmare (open for any sights to see) 2 nights in Kinsale (visit Blarney, Cobh) and 1 night in Kilkenny (Rock of Cashel) and then head to Dublin for 2 nights. Still would rather not do 1 night stays but also don’t want to miss out on an area that we would enjoy. Thoughts?

Posted by
8346 posts

Just admiring the alliteration of the places you want to go and where you don't want to go......

Posted by
508 posts

Brenda,

Kenmare is also another good option, but I've only passed through after a night in town and can't suggest sites to see. The Blarney Stone is a tacky tourist trap I'd avoid. Time is better spent soaking up Ireland's natural beauties. Cobh is an attractive town and was the departure point for Famine and later emigrants to the U.S. and the final port of call for the Titanic.

Posted by
162 posts

I would suggest two nights in Kinsale and two in Kilkenny. Be sure to go to John Cleere's pub (after 9PM) in Kilkenny.

Posted by
170 posts

I'd recommend Kenmare. Spent 3 nights there this month. Good restaurants, several pubs with live music and beautiful surroundings. Recommend Kissane sheep farm for a sheepdog demonstrations, and you can see Moll's Gap in the same trip.
We stayed at the Mountain View B and B about 1 mile from town.