Please sign in to post.

Ireland Itinerary!

My husband, 9 year old son and I will be traveling to Ireland this June. Any feedback on our Itinerary is most welcome!

Day 1- fly into Shannon (see Bunratty Castle & Folk Park and do the Medieval Banquet) Stay at Parkhouse B&B
Day 2- Get up Early- drive to Cliffs of Moher, then head to Tralee (side trip on the way to the Donkey Sanctuary) Stay at Ballyseede Castle
Day 3- Drive to Kenmare- explore the area- (muckross house, sheep farm, national park) stay at Sea Shore Guesthouse
Day 3- Kenmare- Drive the Ring of Kerry stay again at Sea Shore Guesthouse
Day 4- Drive to Cork- explore the area (blarney stone) Not sure where to stay
Day 5- Drive to Longford to visit family- stay over
Day 6- Visit family in Longford, stay over
Day 7- Drive to Shannon and fly home

Some questions--
does it make sense to see cliffs of moher and bunratty castle in one day? too much?
We are skipping Dublin-- is that a mistake?
any must-dos with a 9 year old?
are we crazy to stay in so many places in just a week?

Posted by
359 posts

I would definitely cut down a bit. Driving times are longer than apps say ....by 1.5 to 2 times......and you want to see Ireland not the inside of a car. So yes, while possible Bunratty and Moher in one day is too much.

Also I'd skip Cork. It's in the opposite direction from Longford leaving a LONG driving day. Not that special compared to other wonders and definitely skip the Blarney stone which is on Rick Steves top ten tourist traps in Europe:

"Blarney Stone (Ireland): Busloads line up to kiss a stone on the top of a castle rampart and get “the gift of gab.” The best thing about this lame sight is watching a cranky man lower lemming-like tourists over the edge, belly up and head back, to kiss the stone while an automated camera snaps a photo — which will be available for purchase back at the parking lot. After a day of tour groups mindlessly climbing up here to perform this ritual, the stone is slathered with spit and lipstick." Rick Steves.

If you really want to head in that direction Kinsale is great.....but I'd spend more time on the Ring of Kerry. You could go on a boat ride out to Skellig Michael where Star Wars was filmed.....might be of interest to your boy....the birds are insane in numbers and you often see dolphins and other sea creatures. You don't have to land...they have wonderful Eco tours. Exponentially better than the Blarney Stone. A one day drive of the ROK means you drive past amazing places......missing great stuff. Wonderful ring forts, great to explore, castle ruins on Ballinskellig Beach, old Abbey Ruins, great chocolates at world famous Skellig Chocolates, insane scenery like the Cliffs of Kerry (MUCH better than the Cliffs of Moher) and endless walk options from seaside to nice hikes in the Macgillicuddy Reeks (mountains). Fantastic small towns and GREAT people. All missed on a one day fast drive around.

Dublin is a fun city but is a nightmare to drive in......plus you would lose the better part of a day driving there and another coming back. You don't have time to see everything.......don't fall into the trap of trying to see that one more thing. Localize as much as possible .... leave time for lingering, exploring and meeting some of the amazing locals.......that's what will take the trip from an itinerary fulfillment into a life experience that will mean the world to the family. Heck for our kids seeing an Irish grocery store, stopping and talking to a farmer about his sheep or getting a fun "weird", in their words, Irish breakfast at a cafe was more memorable than the Cliffs of Moher.

I'd try and keep the driving minimal - maybe start south in Kenmare and work your way slowly towards Longford instead of bouncing back and forth. Irish driving is fun and doable but draining.....and much longer than app estimates. Anyway......have a great trip. You'll LOVE It.......just don't try to do too much, less leads to WAY more enjoyment. There's plenty to do and see without trying to keep up a frantic pace.

Posted by
3122 posts

On Day 1, if you're determined to attend the Medieval Banquet, then eliminate at least one of your daytime activities and take a nap. You will be jetlagged from the the overnight flight; even if you believe you'll sleep well on the plane, you won't. Getting up early will be difficult for the first few days because you've traveled eastward.

As a more general suggestion: to what extent does your 9-year-old enjoy spending hours in the car? If he's like most kids he'll get bored and/or restless and/or cranky. Fewer destinations and more time to get out and walk around will probably make your trip more enjoyable for all concerned. I agree about skipping Cork and the Blarney Stone. If you did that, you'd have more time to enjoy the Kenmare - RoK area.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you so much for your feedback!! It is very much appreciated. I think we will skip the Cliffs of Moher and Cork and spend more time in The ROK.