Please sign in to post.

Ireland Itinerary

Hello travelers,

I'm interested in any feedback for a tentative 7-day Ireland itinerary. I'm in the early stages of planning; just scored a great deal on airfare for March - we are flying in and out of Dublin so basically need to sleep in Dublin the first day because it's going to be a very long travel day, and the last day due to morning flight.

I'm taking my sister; we are both comfortable with driving and navigating, not big into hiking but would be interested in some shorter hikes, and mostly want to enjoy the smaller towns, beer and music in pubs, the scenic drives, and beautiful landscapes.

We only have 7 nights and want to see a lot, but minimize too much driving in any one day. I think we'd rather sacrifice having to do 1-night stays in order to see as much as we can, but without driving for hours and hours each day. It would be nice to fit in a 2-day stay somewhere if anyone has better suggestions.

Night 1: Dublin (Irish Music Pub Crawl)

Night 2: Kilkenny (Rock of Cashel, St. Dominick's Abbey, Kilkenny Castle)

Night 3: Kinsale (Walking tour)

Night 4: Kenmare (National Park)

Night 5: Dingle (Dingle Peninsula)

Night 6: Galway (Cliffs of Moher?)

Night 7 : Dublin (National Museum)

Any must-sees in these areas or Ireland, or towns you would swap out in favor or somewhere else you've been?

Anywhere you'd highly recommend minimum of 2 nights, and skip sleeping in another town?

Any glaring missteps with this itinerary?

Thank you!

Posted by
398 posts

I respectfully think you are trying to cram too much in. For example, the drive from Dingle to Galway takes most of the day, especially if you are stopping at the Cliffs of Moher on the way. We did that drive and stopped at the CoM, leaving Dingle around 8:30 that morning, driving through the Burren on our way from the CoM to Galway, and not arriving until around dinner time. So you wouldn't have much time to see Galway at all (not that we liked it very much, though some do). Unless you spent more time in Galway the next day, but then you'd leave yourself very little time for Dublin on your last full day. I would really recommend cutting at least two stops.

Day 1 - Hopefully on your first day you are arriving from the US and therefore early in the morning. Get breakfast and then hit the city. Try to stay outside and active, it'll help jetlag. Of course, no your own bounds too. I'd prioritize the Kilmainham Gaol, but that's just me. Do you mean the National Museum of Archaeology? Or Natural History? Or Art? We really loved the Archaeology museum. Night 1 in Dublin.

Day 2 - spend a second day in our near Dublin. If you are antsy to get out of the city, do a tour to either Glendalough or Bru na Boinne. Night 2 in Dublin.

Day 3 - Next morning, drive to Kilkenny in the morning and spend the day there. Do not try to do Cashel this day - it is going out of your way and you will have to double back to Kilkenny, and then go by Cashel on your way to the West Coast. Spend the day in Kilkenny - there is enough to do here, and it is a pleasant downtown. Night 3 in Kilkenny.

Day 4 - Next morning, drive to Dingle via Cashel. This is a long day, but you'll get to see your two sites in Cashel, and be in Dingle by dinner time. Go out to the pubs and enjoy the best music scene in Ireland. Night 4 in Dingle.

Day 5 - Slea Head drive during the day (take your time, it's incredible). Then another night in Dingle's pubs. Night 5 in Dingle.

Day 6 - Get a good start the next day, drive Dingle to Galway, via Cliffs of Moher and the Burren. Night 6 in Galway.

Day 7 - drive Galway to Dublin, stop at Clonmacnoise and Tullamore (whiskey and nearby castle) en route. Night 7 in Dublin.

Day 8 - fly home.

My suggestions eliminate Kenmare and Kinsale. These are wonderful places, I am not negative on them at all. If you'd rather go to these than some of the other places, then by all means, plan accordingly. But I am just trying to get across that I think you are cramming too much into 7 nights with your original proposed itinerary. I fear you would be spending too much time in the car.

Posted by
3122 posts

I agree that with only 7 nights you are trying to cram in too many destinations. Remember that every time you change lodging, you waste a few hours packing, checking out, navigating to your new place, checking in, unpacking. It doesn't seem like much but when you do it day after day it really eats into your time. Also, driving time may be longer than you think because not only are the roads narrow but you'll want to stop and see things along the way. The goal of your trip is to experience Ireland, not the interior of a car, yes? If you "mostly want to enjoy the smaller towns, beer and music in pubs, the scenic drives, and beautiful landscapes" there are plenty of places that fit this bill without having to check off 5 different towns in 5 nights.

Posted by
3224 posts

7 nights? Pick 2 destinations, 3 max.
Head either north or south from Dublin.
With your current itinerary, you are trying to cover half the island!

Posted by
996 posts

I agree with above advice. Pick two cities. Maybe three. Sometimes less is more, especially when you remember that travel from one place to another requires time. Check out. Travel. Check in. That's at least half a day right there.

Posted by
23 posts

It's so hard to eliminate places - there is SO much to see. You should have seen my first try... I wanted to fit in Northern Ireland, too! Thanks for all the advice - the driving distances are a reality check. I was thinking more stops could minimize daily driving but going to a new place every night would be very time consuming. We will just have to plan on at least one pretty long day of driving if we want to see Dingle. That is probably the must-see for me. I do want to see Kinsale... but if we want to see Kinsale, we'd have to skip the route with Galway/Cliffs of Moher. With either of these itineraries it's 500+ miles of driving just getting around, not including extra day trip/sightseeing drives... yikes.

Nights 1-2: Dublin (Kilmainham Gaol, National Museum of Archaeology, Book of Kells)

Night 3 : Kinsale

Night 4-5: Dingle (Slea Head Drive, enjoy pubs and music)

Night 6: Kilkenny

Night 7 : Dublin (St. Stephen's Green)

OR

Nights 1-2 in Dublin

Night 3 in Kilkenny

Night 4-5 Dingle (via Cashel)

Night 6 Galway (via Cliffs of Moher and the Burren)

Night 7 Dublin