Please sign in to post.

Ireland Itinerary

Hello,

We now have the working schedule for our first trip to Ireland, and I would very sincerely appreciate your input and advice. Travelling will be my wife and I (mid-fifties and active) and our 22-year-old daughter:

• Friday, May 24 - land in Dublin late in the day. We should arrive at our hotel around 5:00 p.m.

• Saturday – Dublin
• Sunday – Dublin
• Monday – get up bright and early, go to airport to pick-up rental car. Drive to see Rock of Cashel, spend the night in Kinsale.
• Tuesday – visit Cork and Blarney Castle on our way to Killarney. Spend the night in Killarney.
• Wednesday – Drive Ring of Kerry, spend night in Killarney.
• Thursday - Drive to Dingle and enjoy Dingle Peninsula, Spend night in Dingle.
• Friday – Spend relaxing day and night in Dingle.
• Saturday – Leave Dingle early, Enjoy Cliffs of Moher, spend night in Shannon
• Sunday, June 3 – Fly back to United States from Shannon.

Thanks in advance for your advice and input. All thoughts are welcome and very much appreciated. Thanks again, and Happy New Years!

Posted by
459 posts

hey be sure to include the Cliffs of Kerry on your RofK tour (pretty muchgoeswithoutsaying) they are really awesome and sometimes folks think since they are going to the Cliffs of Moher they don't need CofKerry....don't skip-em. You might give Camille a look too at Dingle for a B&B, she's a bit short of a mile outside the city but it is walkable and with three of you she has rooms to handle three folks! http://brownesdingle.com/

Posted by
2724 posts

I love your itinerary! I haven’t been to Cork, but I’ve been every where else, and I think you’ve made good choices. You’ll love Iteland!

Posted by
409 posts

Personally I think you should do the Dingle peninsula as a day trip and the Ring of Kerry as an overnight - maybe in Portmagee, Cahersiveen (there's a new hotel the Skellig Star), Waterville or Sneem...... Ring of Kerry is a much longer journey than the Dingle drive; if you add the Skellig Loop (you should! see comment above on The Kerry Cliffs!) it's even longer. It really isn't a day trip, it's just that Killarney has made it into a day trip so people will stay overnight there. If you look at Lonely Planet drives, they have the ring of Kerry as a 4 day drive there is so much to see and do! Two nights in Killarney I would change to one night in Killarney and one on the Ring..... I stay in Killarney twice a month, so it's not that I don't love the place -- it's just that the real ireland is in the smaller villages and towns, not touristy Killarney!

I just went to Dingle on the 26th (for the Wren) and I looked at the drive through an outsider's eye. The drive itself isn't as beautiful as Iveragh (RoK) in my opinion. The parts PAST Dingle town is really the stunning part, and I meet loads of people who never even get past Dingle town!

Susan
Expat in Waterville