Please sign in to post.

Ireland in September

We're going to be in Ireland during September this year and as it's my first visit there I wanted to ask...are there any bugs that we'd need to be aware of? Coming from the Gulf Coast region of Texas bugs are a way of life but tolerable if prepared for! So, are there any I should prepare for in Ireland in September? We'll be visiting the south/west and then Northern Ireland. Thanks so much for any information/advice!

Posted by
2261 posts

We spent a week in September in 2013, I do not recall any bug problem at all. Might be too cool in general for mosquitoes to thrive? We saw some very nice black slugs at the Cliffs of Moher, but we bothered them more than they bothered us.

Posted by
19 posts

I have been to Ireland twice in September, the last time September 2013 for three weeks and traveled clockwise around the Republic and North and I never had any insect problems at all.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks to both of you! Must be nice to live somewhere without insect problems!!! Can't wait to visit...thanks again!

Posted by
135 posts

Bugs won't be a problem in Ireland in September, although there may be some wasps still around, and possibly still some 'midgies' - tiny flies who pack a surprising nip especially in the dusk period. However both become negligible towards the end of the month.

Posted by
24 posts

I have been in Ireland in July, April, and October, and cannot recall seeing any bugs.

Posted by
4 posts

Mark G....just had to comment on the "midgies"! We visited Red Rock NM one June a few years back and were accosted by something that sounds like what you described as midgies...we were literally eaten alive! It was so bad we had to leave the thought of camping behind and move to the nearest hotel! And, to make it really puzzling, no one else at the campground seemed to be bothered by whatever was eating us alive! That experience makes me check beforehand now so there won't be any repeat performances! Thanks, again, for your informative responses.

Posted by
300 posts

In May we opened a window/skylight around dusk on a damp, rainy evening in Kenmare. Ten minutes later we wished we hadn't - the room lights had attracted a lot of little gnats or midges. Maybe they wouldn't have bitten or maybe they would, but we killed as many as we could between closing the window and going to bed. I don't think we saw a window screen the whole time we were in Ireland...

Posted by
8667 posts

Sgraviano have wonderful trip. Remember, dress in layers, most roads are small, sheep are everywhere, and the beauty of the countryside will take your breath away. Have fun!