Please sign in to post.

Ireland in Sept.

How is the weather in Sept?

Also when flying into Dublin for the start of the tour any recommendations on a hotel?

Thanks.

Posted by
3241 posts

Of course, no one knows what the weather will be like in Sept. It could be a heat wave or rain cats and dogs, but generally you can expect summer weather to continue, albeit a bit cooler.
We stayed in the Ballsbridge area of Dublin. This is not city center, but is a nice, quiet neighborhood. We stayed at a B&B called Ariel House, it had a great breakfast!

Posted by
359 posts

We went last September and it was pure Ireland. We were primarily in Kerry. There for 3 weeks and not one day totally ruined by bad or cold weather. We got wet a few times, and were chilly a couple times....but also had some virtually summer weather. Always have something warm available to put on...it changes quickly. A waterproof windbreaker is a must and we found having a change of socks with us or in the car a great help when out slogging around. No guarantees but all our September weather worries were pointless - it was great overall.

Posted by
8424 posts

Better than a change of socks is wearing the correct footwear in the first place! Waterproof hiking shoes are the best when traveling. I like the Ahnu brand.

Dublin Hotels: avoid Temple Bar area unless you are into partying scene.

Posted by
359 posts

Excellent point on the good footwear Carol.......it really does make a difference. Of course when your foot gets sucked down a foot or two in what looked like reasonably dry Irish soil a change of socks is nice regardless of footwear.

Light misty rain can move in quick. We were at McCarthys castle on Ballinskellig beach on a virtually cloudless morning and thirty minutes later there was a cold drizzle....my wife was fine in her waterproof windbreaker and shoes. I had left my windbreaker in the car. Not bright. :)

Posted by
49 posts

The weather is lovely but do bring a jacket. I stayed at No. 31 in June and loved it. The Trinity Hotel is also great...get one of the Firehouse Suites.

Posted by
11294 posts

"Also when flying into Dublin for the start of the tour any recommendations on a hotel? "

If you are taking a Rick Steves tour and flying in 1-2 days early (which is recommended), you will get the name of your first hotel in advance. As soon as you do, contact them directly via e-mail, and ask for their rate to stay those 1-2 extra days. Often they will give a good rate, and it's certainly more convenient than changing hotels. If they are booked up or if the rate is too high, then ask for other places to stay.

Posted by
409 posts

I love EweWoolKnit's comment! I just dropped my husband and his fold up bike at Ballinskelligs beach castle to cycle back to Waterville..... from the time we stopped til he changed into his cycling gear, it went from a lovely orange cloud glow to lashing rain!

As my neighbor wisely told me - don't put off til afternoon what you can do this morning! ;-)

As for clothes - I bought a relatively cheap pair of plastic golf rainpaints (actually found them in a thrift shop in Austin, Texas!_)and they have saved me many a day. They fold up very small and sometimes you are tempted to stay in the car as a 15 minute rain blows through. The waterproof pants get me out there, no matter what!

Susan
Expat in Waterville, RoK