Please sign in to post.

Ireland in October

I'll be on tour for 2 weeks in Ireland. What would you say you wish you knew before your trip? What would you have done differently?

Posted by
2456 posts

I would have liked to have spent the night on one of the Aran Islands, rather than just taking a day trip.

Posted by
112 posts

Thank you for your suggestion. You know what they say about hind-sight being 20/20.

Posted by
8683 posts

Never come back.

I'm editing this remark. I meant never come back FROM Ireland. As in staying there forever.

Poor grammar.

Posted by
359 posts

I learned after my first trip that one night stays and racing around trying to see everything was about the worst way to travel and EXPERIENCE Ireland. Pick a few key things to see, keep a list of possible things to see if there is time......but give yourself plenty of time to linger, explore on your own and interact with the people. Put the experience ahead of an itinerary list. You can't see everything......don't try. Small moments are what makes the trip.....they become huge.....far bigger and better than checking off another "must see". There are amazing, magical things close by no matter where you are in Ireland. Flying around on a rushed itinerary is usually the worst approach.

Posted by
62 posts

I’ve stayed in Ireland in September and October and both times I wished:
-I’d dressed warmer. I was prepared for rain and cool, but even with layers I was chilly. So more warm layers.
-I hadn’t spent so much time in Dublin. It’s a great city, but this time we’re staying in Killarney and will take day trips from there. The Dublin trip was a lot of go go go and even though we saw a lot, I’d rather have had some meandering time.

Don’t pass up a chance to go to the Aran Islands. Inis Mor is beautiful and quaint. I stayed in Kilmurvey House B&B and highly recommend it. If you do go, take something for seasickness for the ferry ride. It can get a little rough and nothing ruins a good time like barf.
In a pub, sit at the bar. Talk to as many locals as you can. In America we’re so used to isolating ourselves, and while it’s understandable in the US, the Irish people are so friendly and willing to talk and share a story it’d be a shame to pass up some of the local flavor. I loved taking public transportation. My seatmates always struck up a conversation and I met some interesting people. Eat fish n chips. Stop and listen to the buskers. Take your time and relax and enjoy yourself!

Posted by
238 posts

I totally agree with ewewoolknit--we raced around the entire island in 15 days on our first trip so there were a number of places we only saw through the car windows. On the other hand, it did motivate us to make a second, three week trip focused almost entirely on the south and west and we eliminated one night (and even two night) stays--much less hectic and way more fulfilling! I also wish we had taken a few day tours rather than doing all the driving ourselves. The person driving just doesn't get to experience as much of the beauty of the countryside because of the need to keep focused on the road. I'm thinking particularly of the Slea Head drive and the Ring of Kerry. This is not to say that I don't recommend having a car though. Especially in the south and west it really is an advantage to be able to get around on your own. But be prepared--driving is definitely a challenge! Best advice--read the manual!

Posted by
112 posts

Thank you all for your comments.
I appreciate the slow down and smell the atmosphere sentiment. It's true that when traveling abroad to a new country, it's hard not to feel rushed about while trying to take in as much as possible, especially when traveling with a tour group. I was once abandoned by my tour guide in Paris because I forgot I was on a strict timeline. It was my first time traveling abroad, my first time traveling with a tour group and it was the first day of the tour. I was able to catch up with them, some were shocked and relieved to see me, but rest assured, I never allowed myself to relax when I was with that group the rest of the 12 days. There are advantages and disadvantages to group tours.
I'm not accustomed with the local pub being the center of a town's activities. I don't drink alcohol but love music and dancing so this will be a very interesting adventure for me. I imagine it's like visiting New Orleans during Mardi Gras season.
I definitely will pack extra socks since I'm not a fan of damp feet. Layering will be my foremost in my mind when packing.

Posted by
38 posts

Are children allow in the pub? I have 17, 11 and 10 year old. Thinking about doing a 17 days in Ireland in July, I was afraid it's too much time for just one country, especially pubs are a major part of the culture and if kids aren't allowed.

Posted by
2829 posts

There are no restrictions regarding children in the pubs during the day, but per Irish law minors 15 and younger are supposed to be out by 9 PM. Depending upon exactly where you are that might be the most widely ignored law in Ireland. Do check locally though.

Posted by
112 posts

Vincelanier, may I suggest you start your own thread about children in pubs and a different thread about how long is too long in one country. You are more likely to get the responses you desire if you do.

Posted by
186 posts

When my family visited Ireland with our two young kids (10 and 12 yo), we would make sure we arrived at the tail end of 'dinner time' and have a leisurely dining pace, enough to catch the first set of who ever was performing. They won't rush or kick you out if you are eating, but you will probably want to leave by the time it's all drinks later on in the evening.