Please sign in to post.

Ireland in November

We will be in Ireland Nov 17-22 (leave on the 23rd). We have a rental car all set up when we arrive and will be staying overnight on the 17th in Dublin. We then head to Athlone for 3 nights and then back to Dublin for a night. What would you suggest we see in the limited time that we have? We split up where we plan on staying, so we could see more of Ireland this way instead of constantly driving. We also wanted to take advantage of the limited daylight time during this time of year. This is our first trip to Ireland...Thanks.

Posted by
330 posts

Hello,
I wasn’t sure where Athlone was, so I looked it up.

Been to Ireland three times and have gone with a car once. The other two were only for a few days and I was able to use trains/buses for my travels.

Here are some spots I thought of that I had visited:
Boone Valley: Newgrange tomb, Trim Castle, Loughcrew passage tomb, the 10th century High Crosses at Monasterboice, Hill of Tara the seat of the High Kings.

Galway area: including Kylemore Abbey

Maybe a day trip to Limerick.

Not sure what things interest you. Here’s a website that might help with driving times:

https://www.discoverireland.ie/Things-To-Do/Ideas-for-activities/Discover-Ireland-by-car

Have a great adventure!

Posted by
865 posts

Clonmcnoise is definitely worth a visit, also, and it's fairly close to Athlone. I also visited the castle in Athlone, it has an interesting history.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks, I should also mention that we will be traveling with 3 kids, ages 12, 14 and 20. We're just looking to sightsee mainly.