Please sign in to post.

Ireland in July

Hi Everyone,
We are headed to Ireland for the last 2 weeks of July. Wondering on advice as to clothing. We have been to Ireland once before but that was in September. We are wondering if we will need warm weather clothing or if it will be more long pants, long sleeve shirt type of weather. Much of our time will be spent on the south coast, but we will be in the Belfast area for 4 days at the beginning of our trip. Outside of rain wear, which we know we need, what can we expect the weather to be like in July?
Thanks in advance.
Rob in Toronto

Posted by
15589 posts

I was there in August 2014, with surprisingly good weather (almost no rain, lots of sun) for 2.5 weeks. daytime temps were 70's on the warmest days, and even then along the coast the winds were chilling.

Posted by
317 posts

Greetings from Ireland.
The chances of bikini-weather are slim to none, so I wouldn't worry about packing too many 'summer-clothes'.
Right now, its almost July, I'm looking out the window of my B&B on Dingle harbour and the rain makes me think of the apocalypse.
Last week, I got sunburn and resembled the pink panther for a few days. So its impossible to predict, except for 2 things.
1. It will not be hot
2. There will be rain

"Ireland is a fun destination, not a sun destination" - Stephen McPhilemy on Rick Steves radio show.

Is mise le meas/from me with respect
Stephen McPhilemy
Rick Steves Ireland tour-guide
Dingle and Derry

Posted by
992 posts

We were in Ireland last July. We started with two sunny days (70 degrees + ) and wore t-shirts and jeans. As the week progressed (4th - 11th July, 2015) we experienced a lot of rain and it was cold. Along the west coast, with the wind and rain, I even used my ear warmers and gloves. We did get breaks from the rain, but still wore long sleeve tees. If I was to go again, I would take a Gortex rain jacket, (mine was waterproof, but did not hold up as well as expected). I also had Gortex North face shoes that did keep my feet dry all week. We wore hiking pants that dried quickly that worked well. Just be prepared.

Margaret

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks guys for the information (even if it is not what I had hoped for). I do appreciate you taking the time. At least I know I will not need many pairs of shorts, LOL