Please sign in to post.

Ireland in April

I will be in Ireland (Dublin and Belfast) from 4/12 to 4/18. What can I expect the weather to be? Any recommendation on clothing?

Thank you

We too will be in Ireland for 10 days flying in and out of Dublin. We are renting a car and there are 4 of us. We want to make it to Northern Ireland in our trip. Can someone give a good itinerary?

Posted by
6788 posts

Weather in Ireland can be anything, all year round. I was there last summer, one day I got a sunburn, next day it was cold, hard, driving rain and windy.

There's no way to know in advance. You can look at historical averages, but on any given day those can be meaningless. Be ready for anything - you'll probably get at least a bit of all of it.

Posted by
2316 posts

I would be prepared for cold, windy, rainy weather. Then if the weather is clear, you will be pleased. We spent two weeks in March all over Ireland and never had a day of rain. But we wore our coats a lot. Plan to pack layers, check the forecast a few days before you leave, and know that there are plenty of shopping opportunities if you forget anything!

Posted by
853 posts

I was in Ireland in April a few years ago and had every kind of weather from so cold I wished I had my mittens, to so hot I wished I had a pair of shorts and actually got a sunburn. Layers is the key, and always be ready for rain.

Posted by
1878 posts

I always Google "Dublin climate," or Ennis, or anywhere I want to go. This will give you some idea of the averages. In April 2002 I had really good experience in Ireland with weather. May 2016 was a lot more rainy, but it was still fine. I would not worry too much about cold, but rain is a given.

Posted by
140 posts

There is a good chance that the weather in Ireland on those dates will be dry, (which means that it will only rain three times a day). It will be great. Wear layers.

Posted by
4044 posts

Yes, plan your clothes in layers. And yes, rain. Ireland is green for a reason. Think hat, umbrella, and shoes that are at least moisture-resistant. Nothing like cold feet to chill your entire body.