Please sign in to post.

Ireland and Northern Ireland in 8 days

I have been planning our trip to Ireland and Northern Ireland at the end of March but I'm getting nervous. :) I'm a little worried that I am being too ambitious but I know how we travel and what we are used to and I think we will be ok, but I would love some feedback.

What we want to see on the Island:
- Our main goal is to just drive through the countryside and along the coast of Ireland staying in small towns along the way.
- We have almost no desire to go to Dublin, Galway, Cork, Belfast etc. I'm sure they are great, that's just not the reason we are going.
- We are most interested in the culture and geographic beauty of Ireland. Think falling down castles and lots of cliffs as well as those small rural towns.

What we are used to:
- We live in Atlanta, GA and travel to Florida and North Carolina A LOT. We are very used to being in a car for long periods of time and usually with two young boys. This trip is for our 10 year anniversary so we are leaving the kids at home making the trips in the car much more pleasurable.

Our Tentative Itinerary:

Day 1
- Fly into Dublin at 8:30am, pick up car and head north to Northern Ireland. Staying in Dromore. Would like to see Bru Na Boinne along the way. Maybe Trim Castle too.

Day 2
- Drive along the coast north starting at The Gobbins and ending around the Giant's Causeway. Staying in Bushmills.

Day 3
-Drive towards Derry/Londonderry for lunch and to see the old city. Maybe walk around the walls. Drive to the Slieve League cliffs and stay in Mullaghmore.

Day 4
- Drive to DownPatrick Head and then south. This day is a little foggy and I think would be one of the longest drives. I have us staying in Doolin.

Day 5
- This part of the trip get's really foggy. I have us driving half of the ring of Kerry and staying in Waterville.

Day 6
- From this point on I have nothing booked. Was thinking Kilkenny??

Day 7
- Was thinking of driving straight to Dublin and staying by the Airport and taking a shuttle into the city for the afternoon/evening.

Day 8
-Fly out of Dublin at 11:30AM

So... are we crazy? I know it's a lot but I grew up taking road trips.

Posted by
8645 posts

First point. Most of where you are noting in the itinerary is Northern Ireland ( part of the United Kingdom) NOT Ireland. With Brexit looming there is concern about the long ago eliminated hard border being reestablished. Not a plus and not confirmed since no one knows what happens with Brexit but something to be aware of regarding travel between the countries.

So my question to you is your trip about Ireland or is it about Northern Ireland AND Ireland.

If you solely want 8 days in Ireland and want to experience culture and geographic beauty, are prepared to drive on the opposite side of the road and experience roundabouts then consider:

Dublin ( get rental at airport) head towards Powerscourt then onto Gledalough. From there the Rock of Cashel with an overnight nearby.

Next morning head east to Jeer Point and from there South to Cobh or Kinsale.
I choose Kinsale and then meandered from there to clonakilty. Remember with a recommendation from a friend visited the Temblebrayn Stone Circle. just outside Clonakilty is the Michael Collins Centre. Family run museum. Next drive from there to Kenmare via Skiberrdean and Bantry. Next day via Molls Gap through Killarney National Park and on to Dingle. At least three night here then a straightt 4.5 hour ride back to Dublin.

Experiencing Eire is about slowing down. Being flexible if weather causes concern. Travel time on the small roads will take longer than expected, thus the acceptance of not trying to see too much in such a short period of time.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks. I have updated my post to be more clear and distinguish between Ireland and Northern Ireland. I am aware of the difference between the two counties, but was using the term Ireland when what I really meant was the island as a whole. Hope my clarity of terms helps future responders. :)

Posted by
3122 posts

This is an awful lot for 8 days. Many of us "grew up taking road trips" across vast areas of the USA, but that's very different from travel in the British Isles. You really need to decide whether you want a chance to experience Ireland in ways such as striking up conversations with locals, walking around villages and areas of natural beauty, browsing through shops -- or if you just want to see what's visible along the roadsides through the windshield of your rental car.

Posted by
1361 posts

Great advice from Claudia. Note that the current Brexit deadline is March 29. Also bear in mind that the sun will set by 6:00 PM in March so you may not have as much daylight as you might expect. And it will probably be rainy so driving may also take longer than you think. Remember to add about 1/3 drive time to whatever Google maps is telling you. Happy Anniversary, may you have many more travelling years.

Posted by
4 posts

Kclyons - What affect could Brexit have on our travels? I know a bit about it but have not researched it thoroughly.

epltd - Thank you for this! I totally see your point. I wasn't trying to technically absorb culture when I was traveling in the states. It was driving from one "interesting thing" to the other. I have a feeling that my inability to plan the lower portion of my trip is a good indicator of my lack of interest in it. I am VERY excited about Days 1-4, basically the northern part of the island. Do you have any suggestions as to where I could double up evenings? Anything you might change?

Posted by
359 posts

Driving in Ireland is fun but very challenging.....and if you value life ......the driver is not able to both drive and really enjoy scenic gazing. So hours in the car is not remotely the best way to see things. Great advice above - less is WAY WAY more. Lots of driving and one night stays are a major detriment to what should be the goal....and that's experiencing Ireland. Plus.....locating in an area for a couple/few days actually allows to see way more actual things.....rather than driving.

You can't see Ireland in 8 days but you can experience it. That won't happen from a car. So the above advice is fantastic......head to Glendalough through the gorgeous Wicklow Mountains.......then on to the south west. Linger in Kenmare and enjoy Beara, the sights near Killarney, the incredible ROK, Skellig Ring and then go just north to Dingle. You'll have things to choose from that could fill months....tons of cliffs, castles, ring forts, abbeys, scenery which is among the best on the planet, islands, hikes, horseback riding, small towns, great restaurants and pubs and incredible warm people. You'll see tons of things and have those magical moments that will stay with you forever. About the only way to blow it in this amazing land is to spend the time in a car......careening all over trying to get to another "must see". Magic is everywhere so pick a couple spots and explore. It's so worth it.

Posted by
6788 posts

Day 1 - Fly into Dublin at 8:30am, pick up car and head north to Northern Ireland...

This is a concern. Flying half-way around the world, you are going to be pretty wiped out and groggy upon arrival. Jumping in a car and driving away - on the "wrong" side of the road, and in a foreign country where things are all just a little "different" - is quite dangerous.

Please consider taking public transport for the short distances to be covered on your arrival day, getting a good night's sleep first, and then getting your car the next morning, when you will be a lot more alert and your driving skills will be more up to the challenge.

Posted by
4 posts

Ok! Thank you for such wonderful advice and a smidge of political drama. ;)

So I have revised our trip thanks to everyone's advice. I have it narrowed to the following...

Wednesday - (30 min)
Drive to Trim area.

Thursday -
Drive to Dromore (1.5 - 2.5 hours)

Friday -
Drive to Bushmills or other town in area (2-3 hours)

Saturday-
Drive to Donegal or other town in area (2-3 hours)

Sunday-
Stay in Donegal - I really want to see the Northern Headlands so I figured this would be where we spend two nights.

Monday-
Drive to Ballina or other town in area ( 1.5 - 2.5 hours)
My main reason for driving over here is to see Downpatrick Head.

Tuesday-
Drive to Dublin (3-4 hours) Dinner in Dublin

Wednesday-
Fly out 11:30

Would love tips of small towns with lots of charm to stay in, particularly in the northern area. Also, seeing the Northern Lights is on my bucket list, will this be possible especially considering weather uncertainty? We are traveling late March - early April.

Posted by
12172 posts

I'm most worried about day one. You will arrive after a long flight and need to have an easy day. I hope you can sleep on the plane to give yourself a head start.

Personally I wouldn't plan too much driving that first day. Trim isn't far and neither is Newgrange, but will you be awake enough to enjoy them? I'd suggest staying in that area for night one.

I think I'd plan no reservations except the first and last night. That way you can move at your own pace and see how far you get each day, rather than trying to decide that ahead of time.

Toward the end you can always get back to Dublin to catch your flight. I always stay the night before just to make sure I don't cut things too tight.