Please sign in to post.

Ireland in 8 days

Hi Everyone!
My husband and I (active 60 year olds) are flying into Dublin and out of Shannon for an 8 day trip. We are staying in Dublin for a few days to see historic sites, etc. We are also ending our trip in Galway to take day trips to Cliffs of Moher and Aran Islands. Any suggestions for trips between those 2 cities? Perhaps Cork/Kinsale for 2 nights? Or should we just stay in Dublin and do day trips to Cashel, Belfast etc.? We would like to see a mix of city and country. We are relying on the train and buses for transportation. Thank you!

Posted by
2473 posts

If you are flying out of Shannon, I would recommend going to Dingle for a couple nights. Gorgeous coast line and ruins and other sights in the area. B&Bs and hotels are plentiful, too. Dingle is a colorful, laidback town.

Posted by
1097 posts

Ditto Judy. I'd sacrifice Dublin all day long to be able to spend time in Dingle or Galway. However, I haven't been there in nearly 15 years and I think it's gotten way more touristy, thanks to Rick Steves' affinity for the place, no doubt! :) I say that with some degree of affection because our two trips to Ireland in the early 2000s was my first encounter with "the Steves way" and using his guidebooks and absolutely why we found ourselves in Dingle, so I guess I can't complain.
If you haven't gotten the current Ireland guidebook, suggest you peruse that as a first step then come back here with more specific questions as you hone in on what interests you. And consider renting a car. You can't really do justice to Ireland without getting off the beaten path.

Posted by
359 posts

Just to hammer it home Dingle over a day in Dublin every day ! Also while in Dublin if you can take a foray (it's not very far) through the Wicklow Mountains to the monastic ruins at Glendalough. One of the prettiest areas in all Ireland. So moving......and there are great, reasonably priced and comfortable day bus tours readily available.

Skip Cork and Kinsale. Kinsale is nice but on limited time not worth going out of your way like that when there is so many richer areas to explore nearer your route. Dingle for two nights SO much better. Arans are a great spot near Galway, so is the Connemara area....So beautiful.

Have a wonderful time. Ireland is fantastic !!!!

Posted by
1172 posts

I also really like Dingle but I would not give up a day in Dublin for it. Like you, I like my cities and found Dublin to have so much to offer.