Please sign in to post.

Ireland in 4 days

My husband and I will be in Ireland for the first time in August. We arrive in Dublin on a Monday and leave on a Friday. What are the recommendations for things that can't be missed in that short time? We historical tours, a cold pint and being with the locals. Most likely will not have access to a car. All suggestions welcome!

Posted by
868 posts

With such a short amount of time I would suggest just staying in Dublin, seeing the sights in the city, and do one or two guided day trips to see other sights. You will actually maximize your sight-seeing time this way as opposed to spending time changing locations an then having to return to fly home. I think most people would recommend Killmainham Jail as a must see, but you may need to make reservations in advance to ensure you get in. Downtown Dublin is quite walkable so the Temple Bar area, and St. Stephen's Green are easy to do, and many other things are easily reached via the Hop on Hop off bus (Book of Kells, St. Patrick's Cathedral, museums etc). For a guided day trip I would highly recommend one that goes to Newgrange. Try a musical pub crawl in evening, and there are literary walks you can do, also.

Posted by
409 posts

I have a very different answer than the last one's!

Get outta town! The first time I went to Dublin (I live in Ireland now) I hurt myself in the Dublin marathon so had to stay in Dublin the entire time. I couldn't drive. It was fabulous! There is an amazing commuter rail service that goes up and down the coast and we got a one week pass. Off in the morning to little villages all around the East Coast. Bray. Howth. Dun Laoghaire (done leer-y). Castle ruins, beautiful beach promenades, cafes to lunch (and pint) in, churches and cemeteries, fishing boats to buy dinner....

Dublin has some great museums, yes. But as we say here "Dublin - that's not Ireland!"

Susan (dual citizen)
American living in County Kerry