Please sign in to post.

Ireland Family Vacation Itinerary - Summer 2018

Hello all,

My family of four, including our two children (who will be 11 and 14) are planning our first trip to Ireland next June-July 2018. We will have 12 nights total to spend in Ireland and have a tentative itinerary as follows:

Dublin -- 2 nights in hotel
Kenmare -- 4 nights in AirBnb
? -- 4 nights
Shannon -- 2 nights in hotel

We are flying in to Dublin, renting a car as we leave Dublin, and will fly home out of Shannon. We'd love to see Dingle, but I'm not sure we should spend the night there. If I've read the maps properly, we can use our home base of Kenmare to visit Dingle. We'd like to see Cliffs of Moher and Galway also. We love being outdoors, and I'd love to spend as much time along the coast as possible.

Here is my question: Where would you recommend we spend those four nights between Kenmare and Shannon that would make day trips to Cliffs of Moher and Galway easiest? We'd love to find another AirBnb to spend 4 nights in if possible, to minimize packing and unpacking.

Follow up question: Would it be better (I realize this is subjective) to spend a night or two in Dingle and then 2 more nights somewhere else?

Posted by
3960 posts

We did something like this in reverse this summer with a few more nights. For twelve nights and your stated desires, I'd try this:

2 nights in Dublin

3 nights in Kinsale

2 nights in Kenmare

2 nights in Dingle

2 nights in Galway

1 night in Adare near Shannon-- no need to stay in Shannon

We did 3 nights stays in Kinsale, Kenmare and Dingle this summer and found that time fairly generous to see most things on our list. We stayed longer in Galway in order to see the Cliffs of Mohr and other great archeological sites to the south and Connemara and areas to the north.

Near Shannon, you and your kids might like to visit the Folk Park and castle of Bunratty on the day before you fly home.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you Mona. That's helpful information. Was two nights in Dingle just right or too much/too little? Did you have a favorite place to stay there?

Posted by
1172 posts

We were there last summer with our kids ( 11 and 8 ) at the time and did:
Dublin 3 night
Kilkenny 1 night
Killarney 2 nights
Dingle 2 nights
Galway 2 nights
Cong 1 night
Dublin 1 night before flying home

Some of our highlights:
- Kilmainham gaol In Dublin
- Dublinia in Dublin
- Dunmore cave just outside Kilkenny
- Renting bikes in Killarney national Park and biking to Muckross house and farms, torc water fall etc.
- Sheep herding demonstration at Kissane farms outside Killarney
- Driving the ring of kerry and stopping for picnics ( and even swim!) at the beach
- Driving the Dingle Peninsula
- Cliffs of Moher
- Bunratty castle and folk park
- Falconry school at Ashford Castle in Cong

In Dingle, we stayed at Garvey's farmhouse... it is actually in Ventry just outside Dingle. The Garvey's were great hosts. It is a working dairy farm and it was so great to watch the operations. Kids loved it!

Posted by
3960 posts

MJ. Depending on your interests 2 nights may be enough in Dingle. We stayed just on the outskirts of the town in a B&B overlooking the bay at Cill Bhreac House. It is located right on the Slea Head Drive. One thing that we did that I thought was going to be corny was to take a 10€ harbor cruise to see Fungie the resident harbor dolphin but it was a beautiful day and the 1h cruise went outside of the harbor and along the coast a ways to see the stunning cliffs on the sea side of the harbor. Beautiful and we would have missed it if we had only stayed on the green rolling hills land side.

Posted by
1878 posts

Sounds as if you already have a lot of this booked, but if not I would suggest ending in Dublin rather than starting there. Dingle is well worth a stop, and is the logical stop to insert into this itinerary. That said, the Slea Head Loop makes it special more that the town itself, in my opinion. Four days would be a lot just just for Dingle, three would be about right. At the stop that you label Shannon, I strongly recommend staying in Ennis. It's about half an hour from the airport. (Also recommend Grey Gables B&B, where my wife and I stayed on both our 2002 and 2016 trips). Easy access to the Cliffs, and generally County Clare is pretty special. we found the traditional music scene better in Ennis than Dingle in 2016, but maybe that was just luck of the draw.

Posted by
1413 posts

Bunratty folk park gets mixed reviews here, but i love it. With a flight out of Shannon, its possible to check into the bunratty hotel, unload the car, have one adult return it and bring the airport shuttle back to the hotel, saving a bunch of hastle on departure day. I love the park itself, (watch the reinactors, pet the burro, take photos!) they have a really nice gift shop, as well as many of the artisans selling items. I'm more lukewarm on the castle, and did pay for the medieval banquet there once.....im not sure i considered it worth the cost. There are some other restaurants/ pubs on the grounds.