Please sign in to post.

Ireland at Christmas

We will be traveling to Ireland for holiday over Christmas 2017. (arrive the 23rd and travel out o the city and around the 27th).The family is me, my husband and two adult children. We plan to stay primarily in Dublin as the city seems a better choice at this time of year, but also to take a day or two and head out to the Cliffs before heading back to America. We understand that on Christmas day Dublin is pretty much closed down. We are curious about activities the surrounding days. Thinking of doing a home away for lodging. Recommendations?

Posted by
317 posts

Hi Erin, greetings from Ireland. Nice name by the way, my daughter is also called Erin!
On Christmas Day Dublin has about the same liveliness as the city-morgue. Its awful, and I speak from experience.
The run-up to Christmas is nice and there is great festivities and markets and carols and returned emigrants and its lovely. Then we go home for the days of the festival and some of us venture out for Mass and religious services, but the pubs are closed and its strict. Remember a large portion of Dublin residents are from the 4 corners of Ireland, so we return to those 4 corners for Christmas.
here is a good horse-racing festival on in Dublin after Christmas and things begin to come back to life fairly soon afterwards, theres a few funfairs and the sales in the shops begin, pubs re-open and things begin to liven up again. Its also a great time to do day-trips from Dublin to the various sites as there are very few tourists around. So that a big plus.
Renting a house would be a good idea, check VRBO or Airbnb, you could have a nice family festive event in a Dublin neighbourhood. Bring your playing cards for Christmas day though!

The best place to celebrate Christmas in my opinion in Ireland is Dingle, its magical and has the 26th December tradition of 'hunting the wren', which most of the rest of Ireland abandoned centuries ago. I divide my time between the 3Ds - Dingle Derry (my hometown) and Dublin, and I travel around Ireland professionally guiding for Rick. There is nowhere in the country to match the ambience of Dingle at Christmas. I run a guest-house there also and we could sell it out ten times over the place is so popular at Christmas time.

If you opt for Dublin, Ive no doubt you'll enjoy it. Let meek now if you need any specific pre and post Christmas recommendations for activities.

Nollaig Shona Dhuit/Happy Christmas in Irish!
Stephen McPhilemy
Rick Steves ireland Tour-Guide
Dingle and Derry

Posted by
46 posts

Stephen, this is great to hear that the Dingle area is a good place for Christmas. What started out as a lark of a conversation has turned into 13 family members planning to spend this upcoming Christmas holidays in Ireland. Dingle area grabbed our attention. We are starting to focus in on areas like Killarney as a home base for a week. Is that probably a good place? We'll do self-catering so are looking for a good place for all of us. We love outdoors stuff but we will also have my 82 year old mother with us who doesn't get around that great any more. We figured there would be lovely drives for her to enjoy. Plus we figured outdoors can't be closed for the holidays! Are there towns/areas that might suit better? Thanks for the help!