Please sign in to post.
Posted by
4703 posts

debrah9, it totally depends on your foot and what you will be doing. But something easy to walk miles in, that you break in before you go, and closed-toe. Don’t worry about being fancy.

Keens generally work for me but your feet may be different.

Posted by
728 posts

We were just in Scotland with our nephew's fiancé and she wasted hours looking for something to wear because she brought lots of shoes but none waterproof (even though it never rained). Ended up in pink rainboots, which was a desperation measure. I just wear Keen waterproof low tops and my wife wears something similar.

Posted by
306 posts

IMO it depends on what activities you plan to do while there and how much walking you think you may be doing outside. I am from the PNW so I use my regular shoes--nothing special just picked based on my activities/plans--and I've never been sorry. I will say that if you are interested in a bit dressier shoe (less activeware shoe) I suggest looking at the brand Blondo. Most (maybe all?) of their shoes are waterproof and I find them comfortable for a day at work or a night out. I bought my son (who lives in Ireland) a pair of Blondo mens chukka boots, which he wears all the time. If you plan to be hiking quite a bit, then perhaps the Keen or Merrell brand would be good if you don't already have a good hiking/walking shoe. Enjoy your time in Ireland!